cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Version 3 user password recovery

Hi all!!

Hope you're doing great,

I've been studying SNMP and I got this question asked:

23) What happens if a customer does not remember the passwords for his SNMP v3 user?

After doing some research I found this "Nodes table of database would have this information. You can also edit a node and view source HTML."

Sadly  I can't get hands-on practice jet, due to lack of lab access, and my computer doesn't support GNS3 so I can't test it my self. So does anyone has a link about how this is done? or could you provide documentation where this explained step by step? (SNMP Version 3 user password recovery)

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

About which platform are we talking? Cisco IOS?
Where is the sentence you mentioned from?

So far I am not aware of any way that let's you view the password of a SNMPv3 User configured on IOS..

But I also never had the issue where a SNMPv3 User password was completely lost and forgotten.
Usually we store it in password safes and also add the network devices to Network Management systems which are monitoring them using SNMP, where the password is stored as well.

If you really haven't stored it anywhere and forgot it, guess you'll have to configure a new password.

Hope that hepls.

Best regards
Julian

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

About which platform are we talking? Cisco IOS?
Where is the sentence you mentioned from?

So far I am not aware of any way that let's you view the password of a SNMPv3 User configured on IOS..

But I also never had the issue where a SNMPv3 User password was completely lost and forgotten.
Usually we store it in password safes and also add the network devices to Network Management systems which are monitoring them using SNMP, where the password is stored as well.

If you really haven't stored it anywhere and forgot it, guess you'll have to configure a new password.

Hope that hepls.

Best regards
Julian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: