cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Somewhat confused by Firewall access rules and port forwarding rule

rdk_cisco1
Level 1
Level 1

Using a Cisco RV325 Dual Band router and generally it is working fine. However, I'm a bit confused about firewall access rules and port forwarding rules, what they do and when are they needed.

I recently wanted to allow port 80 to go to a test computer on LAN address 10.0.1.92.  So I configured rules 1&2 in the figure belowWebPort80Web.jpg

That did not work.  I also had to add a Port Forwarding rule for port 80 to 10.0.1.92 and then port 80 traffic arrived at the target address. I subsequently, accidently disabled rules 1&2 above, a surprisingly port 80 traffic continued to arrive a the target address (10.0.1.92).  Thus, it would seem that the Firewall access rule was doing nothing??

So the real question here is:  When do I use firewall rules and what are they really doing?  When do I need to use port forwarding rules?

What if I really wanted to deny all port 80 traffic coming in on WAN2 regardless of it destination?   For example, is rule 3 doing anything? 

Thanks...RDKCisco1

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how is your out going traffic, i feel you need to have control over NAT Route, if you are Loadbalacing you may see this issue.

1. make sure you looking to incomning traffic, they need to use same path to go out.

2. if you want to block WAN2,  you need deny, but as per the ACE/ACL you allowing WAN2 and Deny WAN1

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This reply does not seem to be addressing my question and really does not make any sense to me...