cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Startup/Running out of sync report -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

When a device is added to RME and a snapshot is taken of the config. Is this what is considered the startup configuration or can CiscoWorks tell the difference between a startup and a running configuration?

14 Replies 14

sstudsdahl
Level 4
Level 4

Within IOS there are actually two separate files for the configuration. One being the startup-config and the second being the running-config. When a device shows up in the list of devices in the startup/running out of sync report, there is a difference between these two files. CiscoWorks uses both of these files to build this report. Once the running-config has been saved to startup-config, the device will no longer show up in this report.

You can verify this by looking at both files yourself and seeing what the difference is that is causing the devices to show up in this report by using the commands:

show running-config

show startup-config

HTH

Steve

It's certainly not working that way for me. I can go through the report, do a wr mem on the device, then I have to do an RME > Configuration Mgmt > Compare Configurations and compare the startup and running. After this, the device will no longer appear in the starup/running out of sync report. However, I have to do that process or it won't go out of the report. The next day it's back again. What I was thinking is that when the device got added to RME, a snapshot was taken of the devices config when the startup and running did NOT match. I thought maybe that first snapshot was a baseline and any config that didn't match the baseline was considered out of sync. I've tried deleting the device from RME but when I add it back to RME, the device shows right back up in the startup/running out of sync report. I don't know how to get rid of the config once the device has been deleted from RME.

If you look at the dates of your startup/running configs, do they reflect current copies of the configs? It may be that CiscoWorks is setup to retrieve new copies of the configs once a week or on some other schedule. If you go to RME > Administration > Configuration Mangement > General Setup you should be able to check when configs are retrieved on the Change Probe Setup tab.

Steve

I found where they're stored. Under Unix, it's /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/archive/config. This directory contains a bunch of dirctories with numbers...each being different for each device.

When a device gets deleted from RME, the corresponding directory should be deleted. For whatever reason, at least for the first one, it didn't get deleted...I have a few more to go through.

This is weird. I got rid of the startup and running configs from the directories stated above after removing the device from RME. I then added it back to RME. Befor I added it back though, I did a write mem to the router. I added the device back and within an hour or so, the device showed up again in the startup/running out of sync report.

BTW. I went to RME > Administration > Configuration Mangement > General Setup and looked at the retrieval schedule. It's set for once a week. The next retrievel isn't schedule for the 26th...today's the 19th.

If you look at the startup/running configs do any differences show up after CW2K reports them as out of sync?

Another thing that you can try would be to go to RME > Configuration Management > Update Archive and force CiscoWorks to update the configs in the archive and then watch and see if they show up in the out of sync report again. This would rule out anything that CiscoWorks may do to the running config when it gets added to the RME database. (I'm not sure that CW2K does anything to the config by default when it is added, but this would rule that out.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that everytime you enter into global configuration mode, a config change is logged even if nothing was changed. At the top of the running configuration, you may see a similar to:

! Last configuration change at 12:04:39 CST Thu Jan 6 2005 by CW2K

! NVRAM config last updated at 12:04:40 CST Thu Jan 6 2005 by CW2K

I am not sure if this is only in the config if you are using AAA for managing access into your equipment, but I think this is the case.

Steve

Ha, Mine does the same thing Rob. What I found out is that the only devices doing it is 2511s and the only thing that is different between running and startup config is "username ****" and when You telnet into the device and do show run or show start you see "username xxx password xxx" I have an open tac case on this now becuase I cannot get rid of those out of my run/start report either. No matter what I do they just keep coming back. I will keep you posted as soon as Cisco TAC finds an answer to this.

Wow. I thought it was me going crazy or something. The more I use this tool, the more problems I see! I have an open case or two with Cisco and will let them know I'm not the only one. I will reply back tomorrow if it's for 2500 series or not. I do know mine sees a other differences though.

Nope, not just you. I have had an open tac case for about a week now. Still no resolution to my problem. I think I just might have to end up scrapping that report or removeing those devices out of cisco works permenitly. Hey if you find out what is causing this make sure you post it as I will too. I am sure other people have had this problem as well.

It looks like most of mine are on 2600 series devices. Thanks Allen and Steve for your inputs on this issue. Support has been dragging they're feet on this for about two weeks or so. I was able to post to this forum and get responses back in one day to use for ammunition back to support. When I mentioned another person having the same issue, I was told they were aware. However, when I asked that very question a few day ago, I was the only one!

I have the problem too, most of the devices are 2600s. The only diffs between the startup and running config is the line "no scheduler allocate" in startup but not in running. I have not ever modified the config either way for scheduler so I assume that CW is putting it there for whatever reason.

So I picked one router and did a "copy run start" to make sure that startup and running both match and I will re-run the out of sync report to see what happens.

I think I have it fixed and understand how it works now. The commands like no schduler allocate, bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled, line speeds on the aux port varying from 1200/2400/19200 and so on are dynamic commands meaning they change all the time. Take for example the line speed command; when someone telnets in at one speed the speed will be one thing and when they connect at another speed, it will be different. Another good example is ntp. The time will alway be changing on the device. These are what I'm calling dynamic commands.

There is a file that contains a listing of the dynamic commands. All I had to do was add these commands to the list in that file, stop and restart the application and these devices don't show up in the startup/running out of sync report. For Unix, the files are in /opt/CSCOpx/objects/cmf/data and are CommandExcludesCat.ini, CommandExcludesIos.ini and so on.

I had followed the above procedure to exclude some of the command and the problem is sort of fixed.

The report still showed lots of devices which are out of sync but clicking on diff, there is no difference in config. This just means I have to go through and click diff on all the devices on the list to find out which one has not been saved. Any advice would be appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card