cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Variables in banners

ca.sanchez
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a banner for a Catalyst 3560 Switch running IOS 12.2(44)SE5. I am using banner login instead of banner motd or banner exec because my transport protocol is SSH v2 and I want the banner to be displayed before the password is prompted. The problem is, I want to use the variables $(line-desc) and $(hostname) in the banner body and they seem to work only when I use banner motd or banner exec but not when using banner login. Why could this be happening? Is there a known solution or workaround for this? I used the same login banner on two different Cisco IOS Routers and the variables work fine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you notice, Cisco rotuter run a newer "base" IOS than the switch,  meaning they have more "general features".

In other words, what you want is not currently supported on the switches, and there is no gurantee it will be supported ever.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you notice, Cisco rotuter run a newer "base" IOS than the switch,  meaning they have more "general features".

In other words, what you want is not currently supported on the switches, and there is no gurantee it will be supported ever.