Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Problem

Tenek85466
Level 1
Level 1

Hello dear experts,
Here is the problem I am actually facing. We have two branches : A and B. The main file server is located in branch A and is configured to make regular backups on the secondary server located in branch B. But since we have segmented the network in branch B, backups have stopped, and there seems to be no communication between the two servers. I can understand this because this is the very purpose of the VLANs to prevent access from outside.
So my question is, how can I configure the vlan where the secondary server is located so that it can start making backups again?
My architecture is very simple: Provider access point, firewall, Cisco 1841 then Cisco 2960 and behind the 2960, VLANs.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure routing between the networks (vlans) is working and or has been setup correctly. Same applies for firewalling-policies and or allow traffic between the intended source and destination.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Since you mention two separate branch sites, I assume there is a VPN running between the 1841's ? If so, then check the ACL used by the crypto map which determines which traffic streams get encapsulated by the VPN and sent to the other branch and the remaining traffic which gets sent to the internet. If you have added new VLANs there is a good change these subnets need to be present in this ACL.

If unsure, please share a redacted copy of your router config.

cheers,

Seb.

We do not have enough information to be able to provide good advice. The original poster tells us that " But since we have segmented the network in branch B, backups have stopped". We do not know how the branches were connected before and we do not know what changes were made to segment the network. In general it sounds like this might be an issue with routing, but it could also be an issue with firewall policy. Please provide more information about the branches, how they are connected, and what changes were made to segment the network.

HTH

Rick