cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Issue

jon.baxter1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch that has several devices on it.  these devices are in 4 different vlans.  I went to move a cisco wireless access point into a different vlan, a vlan that no end device was currently on.  when i did, it said the vlan did not exist on the switch and created.  i thought that was strange.  sure enough, the switch was in transparent mode.  

leaving the switch in transparent mode, i did a show run.  i saw a bunch of vlans created directly on the switch.  all devices, including the AP were working perfectly.  so with my new vlan created on the switch, i moved the AP into the new vlan.  it never came back up (was never seen by the wireless controller).  When I move it back to the vlan it was previously in, in comes back just fine.

So i put the switch into transparent mode.  did a show run, i no longer saw the vlans created directly on the switch.  everything looked good.  it saw all the other vlans that were never on the switch.  i move the AP to my newly created vlan and it is still never seen by the controller.  I put it back to its old vlan and it comes back just fine.  so then, i tried a static IP on the AP and moved the port over, now it is gone forever.  unless I can get the vlan to work on the switch, i will have to take the AP down (its 20 feet in the air, thats a tall ladder) and factory reset it.  because with the static IP of the new vlan, it doesn't matter if i put the port back to the old vlan.  

other things I have tried...

VTP settings look good.  the VTP domain is the same as all my other switches (otherwise it wouldn't see the vtp database from the vtp server).  

I have tried trunking the port.  thought maybe this would do something.  

I do not understand why all the other devices on the switch work just fine

I do not understand why this AP worked in the old vlan just fine (until the static IP of the new vlan)

I do not understand why the AP will not work in the new vlan

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I appreciate the quick follow up.  however, I just looked upstream on the network and found another switch in transparent mode.  it shouldve been passing the vlans, but for some reason it wasnt.  switching it to client mode made the AP come back.  it was a 2950 and my other switches are 2960's, not sure if that played a part.  nonetheless, switching to client mode resolved it.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We need some more information :

1. what is the old VLAN number / What is new VLAN number ?

2. what is this device ?

3. what version of IOS code ?

4. is the new VLAN new Port, show us the config of that port

5. post the old VLAN port configuration

Post below output :

show vtp status

show vlan

is the Wireless controller configured as Trunk mode ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I appreciate the quick follow up.  however, I just looked upstream on the network and found another switch in transparent mode.  it shouldve been passing the vlans, but for some reason it wasnt.  switching it to client mode made the AP come back.  it was a 2950 and my other switches are 2960's, not sure if that played a part.  nonetheless, switching to client mode resolved it.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card