what is the Link between NCS, Prime LMS and Prime infrastructure

michaelatef
Level 1
Level 1

What is the relation between:

• cisco NCS
  • cisco Prime LMS
  • Cisco Prime infrastructure

As i orderd a Cisco Prime infrastructure from a Cisco Partner and what i got is :

x2  cisco NCS appliances

x1  DVD cisco prime infrastructure

x1  DVD Cisco prime 4.2

Don't know what to do ... and which is installed on which device !! any thoughts ??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prime Infrastructure has for the most part replaced NCS as Cisco's wireless (and, to some extent, wired) infrastructure management tool. NCS is still being updated (1.1.3.2 dated 7 Feb 2013) but only incrementally. Most development work is focused on the flagship PI product.

Along the way, Prime Infrastructure (currently at version 1.3) has acquired wired infrastructure management (among other things) but has not yet reached parity with Cisco Prime LMS. The roadmap is targeting much greater (but not complete) feature parity with LMS when PI 2.0 is released later this year.

Prime LMS (current release is 4.2.3) is the sucessor to Cisco LMS / CiscoWorks LMS and RWAN / CiscoWorks 2000 / CWSI / CiscoWorks etc. It is the most full-featured product for Cisco wired infrastructure.

So, back to your question. Build one appliance with PI 1.3, the other with LMS 4.2 (patched to 4.2.3). Focus on following up that technology  upgrade with process and people development / adaptation. Watch for PI 2.0 to make an informed choice as to whether it is time to replace LMS altogether. (I remain hopeful yet doubtful on this last point.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prime Infrastructure has for the most part replaced NCS as Cisco's wireless (and, to some extent, wired) infrastructure management tool. NCS is still being updated (1.1.3.2 dated 7 Feb 2013) but only incrementally. Most development work is focused on the flagship PI product.

Along the way, Prime Infrastructure (currently at version 1.3) has acquired wired infrastructure management (among other things) but has not yet reached parity with Cisco Prime LMS. The roadmap is targeting much greater (but not complete) feature parity with LMS when PI 2.0 is released later this year.

Prime LMS (current release is 4.2.3) is the sucessor to Cisco LMS / CiscoWorks LMS and RWAN / CiscoWorks 2000 / CWSI / CiscoWorks etc. It is the most full-featured product for Cisco wired infrastructure.

So, back to your question. Build one appliance with PI 1.3, the other with LMS 4.2 (patched to 4.2.3). Focus on following up that technology  upgrade with process and people development / adaptation. Watch for PI 2.0 to make an informed choice as to whether it is time to replace LMS altogether. (I remain hopeful yet doubtful on this last point.)

Thanks Marvin so much

can you point me to a doc. or a whitepaper on how to install the LMS4.2 or PI 1.3 (DVD) on the NCS appliance ...that woud be greate

Thanks again

Michael

You're welcome.

Hmmm - upgrading NCS appliance to LMS 4.2 - I haven't come across any way to do that. Not sure there is a supported or documented path on how to. Frankly, why would you want to?

You can move from NCS on appliance to PI 1.3 on the same appliance. Follow this procedure.

Marvin,

I just booted from the DVD and the PI is now installed on the NCS and on the way to install LMS 4.2 on the other appliance ... Thanks a lot for you help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: