cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5520 Memory Upgrade

kfolkman
Level 1
Level 1

Just bought an ASA5520, opened the box to upgrade the memory to 2 GB to support 8.3, and discovered that the unit only has 1 memory module connector.  I thought all the ASA5520 units came with 4 slots?  There are hole patterns for the other 3 slots, but nothing installed on the circuit board.  As it is, the most I can load the unit with is 1 GB (ASA5520-MEM-1GB), but there are not any suggested 2 GB modules.  If my console output didn't show ASA5520, I'd wonder if I didn't have a 5510 board installed in a 5520 chassis.  Any one else seen anything like this?  These are so hard to find right now, that I hate to have to return it to my reseller, as I don't think I can get a replacement for a couple of months.  Any possible 3rd party memory fixes for this?

36 Replies 36

This is exactly the same configuration I had on two differnet ASA5520 units, without all the sockets installed.  Luckily we were able to return those units to our reseller and get one that had all four sockets.  The party line may be that all the 5520 units shipped with four sockets, but I've had conversations with at least three other users with a similar problem.  I do know that someone told me that the problem was corrected in all shipments after April 1 of this year, to coincide with the release of 8.3.

Jerome -- did you get anywhere with your TAC case?

For the moment, I diden't open the TAC case because I was off.

I'll do it pretty soon.

Best,

Jerome

kyle woodhouse
Level 1
Level 1

Ya that looks like the one i have too.  I actually have two 5540's like this and two 5520's.

Cant find the purchase history on them so i dont think i have smartnet on them.  I was just kinda hoping that a field notice might pop up eventually giving some background on maybe this being a batch of serials that were manufactured with the wrong design.

If anyone finds any new info let me know.  Thx,

I have two 5520s that are about to (try) and get 2G installed.  They are about 2 yrs old, so I'll report here when I get one open and get a look-see.  There's two DIMMs in the upgrade boxes, so it'll be nice if there are sufficient slots.

Message was edited by: ckelly@hsutx.edu Looks like our units are 2006 vintage and they have the required DIMM slots. 

We are in the same boat.  One of our ASA 5520 has 4 DIMM slots, one has 1 slot.  sh ver and sh module is exactly the same between the 2 units.

We have an open TAC case in which the resolution is to upgrade to 8.3.  We'll escalate this issue there to see where it leads.  Glad we are not the only ones with this funny surprise.

Thanks

Eric,

If you have that SR # handy where you ran into the memory slot issue, please go ahead and PM me the number. For everyone else, please open an SR if you run into this issue so we may look into these further.

Thanks as always!

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

I've just tried to upgrade my ASA 5520 to 2GB and found out that the hardware only has one DIMM slot available.

This device was purchased in Feb 2009, so the warranty is expired - there is no SMARTnet on this item either at the moment.

Can you tell me what I can do please? I need to use the 8.3+ software on this device for Windows 7 SSL VPN.

daristau
Level 1
Level 1

has there been any clarification on this issue ?  i.e. range of serial numbers that may be affected.

I'm working on an ASA memory upgrade project, have more then a dozen 5520's out in the field,

I want to kno wwhat I am getting into, before the customer is is the middle of an outage.

maybe TAC might know if I opened a case with them?

Hello,

Yes, please do open a TAC case for this issue.

-Mike

Hello,

Just to clarify my previous post, all 5520s should have 4 DIMM slots. You would only need to open a TAC case if you encounter a 5520 that has only 1 DIMM slot, not as a proactive measure for each device.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Mike, I have a 5520 here that is out of contract (ie. no SMARTnet)

I want to upgrade to 8.3 on it and I contacted TAC to verify that if I was to purchase SMARTnet for it that it would be replaced.

TAC was not able to tell me that if SMARTnet was purchased whether it would be replaced, and had no idea about 5520s with only 2 DIMM slots.

Can you clarify (officially) what the solution is for me?

Hello Shane,

As mentioned earlier, the only shipping configuration of all ASA5520 and ASA5540 units manufactured by Cisco is with  4 DIMM slots (regardless of the manufacturing date). Only some ASA5510  units may have a single DIMM slot. At this point, the best course of action would be to involve your Cisco partner/reseller.

Thanks!

Andrew

Andrew, while that may be the official line - it is an untruth. I and others here have legitimately bought Cisco equipment which seems to have a manufacturing defect.

I am simply asking how I can get this remedied. As it is the reseller is no more (economic issues) and this unit is out of warranty and has no Smartnet.

TAC won't talk to me without Smartnet and I cannot justify purchasing Smartnet on this unit to my management if I cannot be sure it will be replaced so that I can run 8.3!

So I'm looking for a way to confirm that this unit - which DOES exist - will be replaced.

As far as I'm concerned I've got a lemon here, a unit which was missold, and now Cisco are claiming that you couldn't have sold me this as your spec is different. This attitude is what I would expect from a shyster at a flea market - not Cisco.

@kfolkman - I agree that this is a Cisco problem - but if they won't accept that it is an actual problem then what can I do?

Andrew, you've given that answer before, but the reality is much different.  I've seen three different AS5520 units with only one DIMM slot, and several others in this thread have also seen them.  Don't call the reseller, they bought these non-conforming units from Cisco, and TAC should work out replacement of the units that were note built to spec.  Don't perpetuate a myth and don't pass the buck.  This is a Cisco problem, not a reseller or end user problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card