Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Pix 515 with ios version 7.01 failure to install ASDM

fredjonge
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

I have a pic 515 ( not the 515E ). And I tried to upgrade to 7.21 only when I do that the Pix can't get installed the version a lower version 7.01 works.

The pix has 64MB Ram and 16MB Flash. ( the minimal requirements cisco gives. )

But when I want to install ASDM version 5.01 the pix says there is not enough space.

Accessing tftp://10.10.199.101/asdm-501.bin...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

%Error copying tftp://10.10.199.101/asdm-501.bin (Not enough space on device)

What is the solution the get the ASDM on the pix. upgrade the memory or upgrade the flash memory?

The version 6 works with PDM i tested only I want it to use the verion 7.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

do a sho mem and sho flash command, you should see under the sho mem how much you have left, also I run the 7.21 and the asdm 5.1, here is my output. Can you do a simple erase? Just back it up first if you are leary....however during the install of 7.x I thought it did this for you....

SHOW MEM:

Free memory: 36448176 bytes (54%)

Used memory: 30660688 bytes (46%)

------------- ----------------

Total memory: 67108864 bytes (100%)

SHOW FLASH:

Directory of flash:/

1810 downgrade.cfg

5386296 image.bin

5958324 pdm (could vary)

>mike elliott

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

As mentioned by Cisco, your PIX515 has sufficient (min) requirement to load ASDM - not necessarily upgrade your flash.

- Flash: 16MB

- RAM: 64MB

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/netsec/secmgmt/asdmhelp/5_0procs/info/sysreq.htm

Typical ASDM upgrade/installation steps are:

1. Copy the ASDM binary file (asdm-501.bin) to a TFTP or FTP server on your network.

2. Log in to your security appliance using the console (or other appropriate method that you have configured).

3. Ensure that you have connectivity from your security appliance to your TFTP/FTP server.

4. If you have an existing copy of the PIX Device Manager, and does not have enough space in Flash, delete the existing PDM image:

delete flash:/pdm

5. Copy the ASDM binary onto your security appliance using any of the following command:

- Using TFTP : copy tftp://your-server-IP/pathtofile flash:/asdm-501.bin

- Using FTP: copy ftp://your-server-IP/pathtofile flash:/asdm-501.bin

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/netsec/secmgmt/asdm/v_5_0/rel_note/asdmrn.htm#wp194374

Rgds,

AK

thnx AK i'll try if it works. I notice if it works or not.

I'm in the same boat. And I think the responder to the original post missed the point. Apparently, there is not enought room in the 16MB flash to load BOTH the PIX 721 OS binary and the ASDM 721.

My PIX515E has 16MB of flash. Pix721.bin takes up 8,202,240. Startup-config 3,327. That leaves 4,927,488 free according to a "dir" commands output (though it doesn't quite add up if you do the math).

ASDM 521.bin is 5,410. It simply won't fit.

Now I was hoping there might be a "squeeze" flash command such as the routers & switches have, however I can't find one. Also, I was hoping that ASDM could be run from ones PC (as SDM can). Apparently not.

I suppose I could use an earlier ASDM...however would it cover any newer features that 721.bin has?

Still, no worries ...I've always regarded the PDM/ASDM as a curiosity to be used at some point in the future when it surpassed the CLI. Guess the future will have to wait a while longer till Cisco slims down ASDM.

I was able to have all needed files plus more.

asdm-521.bin 5,539,756

image_old.bin 1,941,560

pix721.bin 8,202,240

downgrade.cfg 86,016

I had no issues during install.

(I have just removed the downgrade and image_old since it was a tight squeeze.)

As for the old version of ASDM... ASDM is backward compatible but not forward so it wouldn't work.

If I put an old pix6xx.bin version on the cisco pix. and upgrade the asdm to version 521.bin it should be working. Because the asdm is backward compatible?

Lately I haven't got time yet to check if it works. therefore this extra question..

do a sho mem and sho flash command, you should see under the sho mem how much you have left, also I run the 7.21 and the asdm 5.1, here is my output. Can you do a simple erase? Just back it up first if you are leary....however during the install of 7.x I thought it did this for you....

SHOW MEM:

Free memory: 36448176 bytes (54%)

Used memory: 30660688 bytes (46%)

------------- ----------------

Total memory: 67108864 bytes (100%)

SHOW FLASH:

Directory of flash:/

1810 downgrade.cfg

5386296 image.bin

5958324 pdm (could vary)

>mike elliott

I solved the issue in question. After someone in a post above mentioned that they had fit both 7.21 and ASDM 5.2 into a PIX 515E I went back to the PIX in question a did a "fsck" command. Its output showed some hidden directories (something that did not show up with the output of a "dir" command).

It seemed that the only way to clear out those hidden directories would be to format. Even though this clients PIX is under smartnet....I was a bit uncomfortable about blowing away everything. However all went smoothly and the PIX was only down 5 minutes or so.

So,we learn something everyday. I never knew PIX 6 OS was capable of generating hidden directories. Hopefully something PIX OS 7 doesn't do. And by the way, I take back some earlier comments about ASDM. It's great for clients more comfortable with a GUI and I admit its graphs and (new in 5.2) sorting ability on syslog is better that the CLI. Maybe that's how ASDM will eventually win me over....thru better reporting.

Hi, Your sollution worked. therefor thanks any way.

I upgraded to 7.21 via de monitor ( esc ) in the beginning. uploaded the file via tftp and later on copy tftp flash. after than I deleted the downgrade.cfg and image.bin and uploaded the 5.21 file via tftp and changed the config a little and tried via https and it worked out. even after a reboot of the pix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card