Views
Helpful
Replies

Clock-Signal Repair Pictures ISR4300, ASA, ISR4400

Bernhard Roth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We have many devices affected by the clock-signal issues.

Cisco does replace the units with repaired/fixed ones.

I have received some ISR4321 routers with the fix applied (pictures attached).

The Cisco provided fix is of - well - mediocre quality (loose solder joints etc..) but works.

I am an EE engineer and am able to fix other routers of my customers as well (attached a picture of one of my fixes).

Spot the difference :)

Is there anyone which has received fixed ASA5506, ASA5508 and ISR4331 routers?

Please post pictures of your fix (hi-res if possible)

I ask because I would like to fix them as well (some of my customers) and avoid configuration, license etc. migration.

I am aware that I might void Ciscos warranty by this act of evil :)

Best regards,

Bernhard

85 Replies 85

Hi,

is it possible to use a round carbon metal film or a round metal film resistor instead of a surface mount?

I need a temporary fix to get back my config file.

Thanks

As long as the resistance value is right, any resistor will be ok.

It'll depend on your soldering skills, quality of the magnifying glass and whether you can physically get it soldered to the board......

Hi,

I live in Montreal Canada and it was very difficult for me to get parts in a reasonable time because of the covid pandemic (Canada Post delay is 1 month when you order something online)...

I made it using an Arduino kit I bought for my kids a few year ago... no 150 ohms resistors in this kit but 1x100ohms + 5x10 omhs did the job, see picture attached.

I know it is ugly but it worked and I have my config file now, I don't recommend it, but if you don't mind to loose the router forever why not, it may help others in the same situation.

Hi my friends i am trying to fix the 4351 as noted in here from information in fixing other series attached suggestion to fix the 4351 can anyone confirm that it will work thanks 

This tips work fine for me.

Thx a lot

Hello colleagues! for 4351 this scheme is working.Знімок екрана з 2023-01-03 14-19-31.pngЗнімок екрана з 2023-01-03 14-25-27.png

NamoDev
Level 1
Level 1

Would anyone happen to know the exact spots you need to install this 150 ohm resistor on an ASA 5516-X? Got a few V01 boxes for lab use that are still working normally, but I'd like to fix these up so they won't break down in the future. Thanks!

ASA5508 and ASA5516 are essentially the same platform, here you go:

ASA5516_detail2.png

ASA5516_zoom.png

Have fun!

Hi! I have a Cisco ASA 5512X that has a blinking amber LED and not communication on the CLI port.

Could this be fixed?

asa5512x.jpg

asa5512x_1.jpg

asa5512x_2.jpg

   

ASA5512-X is a based on a different platform and AFAIK not affected by the clock signal component issue.

Sorry!

As I can see in the photo, the platform is absolutely the same as in 5508/5516. So the manuals for these boxes should work for you too.

shaw.chris
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 5506 V02 that has just been bricked because of this issue, what is the best way to get it replaced? it currently does not have a smartnet contract, do we need to purchase one and then get it swapped? thanks

You can attempt a repair. With a bit of luck this might bring the unit back to life.

Otherwise purchase smartnet, wait 90 days and then ask for RMA.

I've seen customers just buying a new ASA asd it's EoL anyways = cheap

Thanks, I'll give the repair a go, so its just a matter of soldering on the resistor?

Dear friends did anyone find a fix for the 4351 please share pictures thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card