Views
Helpful
Replies

custom ned yang model

paulohperes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !!!

The NED from Cisco has yang models, but the yang models sometime not reflects to of device configurations all.

Example: The NED to Nokia SR-7750 some not has all contents with a version used by equipment, I have a yang models (split and compiled). Nokia supplied with a installation software the yang models to specific version of installation. How can I add this yang models to NED, or make NED uses the yang models in NSO?

Tks,

Paulo

5 Replies 5

snovello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hello,
I think to manage the 7750, you are currently using the alu-sr NED, that manages the device via the CLI. The yang models in the CLI NEDs reflect what is in the CLI and are unrelated to yang models exposed by the device.

So you cannot simply add a yang file that the device exposes over Netconf and use it. That is simply because the NED uses CLI (ssh/telnet) interface but that model is exposed via the Netconf interface .

What you can do though, is if some commands in the cli are not recognised by the NED, you can open a TAC case and have the CLI NED enhanced to cover the specific commands you are missing. You will have to provide details of what you want to configure. Configure the things you want manually, and then turn on tracing for the device, run a sync-from and attach the trace to the TAC case. This is often quite a quick process because it sometimes just involves adding a few leaves into the yang model that is included in the NED to cover some extra options on commands. You can even make the changes yourself in the NED yang file locally, but do open the TAC case anyway so that you have a supported new NED version that includes the features you need. You may also want to check if a newer NED already covers those commands. Just download the latest NED and look at the CHANGES file.

Alternatively you might want to switch to managing the device via Netconf. That is a larger project, because the yang model for a device we include with the CLI NED is different from the yang models that the device exposes natively, so for example you need to rewrite any templates. You could start by looking at the ned builder feature in NSO to build your Netconf NED for the specific SROS version running on your Nokia device. On Nokia SROS there is an extra complication. To use Netconf Yang you switch the device to a ‘model driven’ mode. That changes the CLI also, and the device is then no longer manageable via the existing CLI NED which works in the ’classic’ mode, so you would need to carefully plan a switch-over from one mode to the other.

HI,

When you sad "tracing for the device", is simple syn-from with verbose mode?

Tks,

Hello,

By "tracing for the device" , he means  enable trace on device.

devices device <device_name> trace raw
commit

Hello,
You see a bit more than what sync-from verbose mode gives you if you set
devices device mydevicename trace raw
commit
then do the sync-from
then look into the log directory for the trace file. That will contain all the interactions with the device in detail.

Tks @snovello !!!

Taking advantage of this topic, I configured my device's access via netconf, the NSO searched for all YANG models of the Nokia SR 7750 available, after that I did a sync-from, it didn't bring any configuration, is this normal?

Is it possible to bring the configuration from netconf? And if I have access via NETCONF, is it better to use this protocol or use the CLI?

Tks