Views
Helpful
Replies

download-error when select yang for netconf-ned-builder

nso20
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the below error when trying to select a yang to build netconf ned, can you help me ?

netconf-ned-builder project new_ned 1.0 fetch-module-list

show netconf-ned-builder project new_ned 1.0 module    // shows a lot of modules on Juniper device, I select only one to download

netconf-ned-builder project new_ned 1.0 module junos-common-types 2018-01-01 select

show netconf-ned-builder project new_ned 1.0 module status
NAME REVISION STATUS
---------------------------------------------------------
junos-common-types 2018-01-01 selected,download-error

show netconf-ned-builder project new_ned 1.0 module junos-common-types select-info
NAME REVISION SELECT INFO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
junos-common-types 2018-01-01 Could not fetch module: invalid RPC reply

devel.log:

<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:12.116 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: connect: device connect...
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:12.807 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: connect: device connect ok
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:12.847 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: close: device close...
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:12.847 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: close: device close ok
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:42.907 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: connect: device connect...
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:43.673 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: connect: device connect ok
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:43.712 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: close: device close...
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:28:43.713 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: close: device close ok
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:29:13.795 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: connect: device connect...
<DEBUG> 2-Dec-2020::11:29:14.481 nso ncs[25307]: ncs progress db=undefined usid=6 thandle=0: ncs: device juniper: connect: device connect ok

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

it is downloaded after setting below configuration on Juniper device:

set system services netconf rfc-compliant

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

snovello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I would turn on tracing for the device. Invalid RPC reply means that the device responded in a way that NSO thinks it should not have responded. You can the look into the trace and confirm whether the reply s a valid netconf reply for the request that was sent.

To turn on tracing go to nso cli and do:

set devices device mydevice  trace raw

commit

Hello,

I did, but its empty, there is no trace in: tail -f netconf-juniper.trace

Hi,

looking at the ned-builder chapter in the documentation there is no indication how you would turn on tracing.

one possibility is you trace with packet capture.. but that is always quite some effort IMO. This would give you definitive answers,

Another is that you recreate what should be happening. so you have asked to fetch a module, there is a command line tool for doing basic netconf operations called netconf-console that comes with NSO. You will have to install paramiko to run it

pip3 install paramiko

then you can call the tool. Here is an example to call it to access the NSO netconf NBI and give me the output of the hello message

% netconf-console -u admin -p admin --host=localhost --port=2022 --hello

that lists all the modules,

then you can do an interactive session or use the rpc option command line option

% netconf-console -u admin -p admin --host=localhost --port=2022 -i

* Enter a NETCONF operation, end with an empty line, or only empty continuing session
<get-schema
xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-netconf-monitoring">
<identifier>tailf-ncs-scheduler</identifier>
<version>2020-06-25</version>
<format>yang</format>
</get-schema>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rpc-reply xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0" message-id="3">
<data xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-netconf-monitoring"><![CDATA[module tailf-ncs-scheduler {

namespace "http://tail-f.com/ns/ncs-scheduler";
prefix scheduler;

import ietf-yang-types {
prefix yang;
}

import tailf-common {
prefix tailf;
}
..SNIP..

You can replace with your module and version and see what the device responds with.

it is downloaded after setting below configuration on Juniper device:

set system services netconf rfc-compliant