Views
Helpful
Replies

Help understanding ../ or ../../ and Deref in YANG

vikassri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team ,

Hope you are doing well .  I am trying to wrap my head around the  ../  or ../../  use in the XPATH  with no success .  I have read the reference for the same in RFC but does not help much . I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me with an example.

For example on the youtube video on YANG training below , could someone please explain what does "/client[ip=current()/../v-ip]/port" expand to ?  What does ip=current() point to and then where does the ../ notation point to in the hierarchy .

markdown-img-paste-2018042802003507.png

Also appreciate if someone could explain the expansion of the path without deref() and with deref() .

markdown-img-paste-20180428020523200.png

Regards,

Vikas Srivastava

2 Replies 2

rogaglia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

current() means your current node. Imagine it as the linux directory system and current() = pwd().

So, with ../ you go back one level in the tree structure and with ../../ you do it twice.

Example: if video/v-ip="1.1.1.1"

/client[ip=current()/../v-ip]/port

would mean "/client[ip="1.1.1.1"]/port

Roque

Thank you Rogue , That helps .

At some places its use of the ../  is clear , like the example you provided. What about the  ..   in the XML template below ( the one just after the /link[1]/var1_router_name ?

My understanding is that link[1]/var1_router_name expands to /ncs:devices/device[PE11]/config so why is there the two .. in this case ?

XML Template

<address>

{

deref(/link[1]/var1_router_name)/../config/interface/Loopback[name='0']/ip/address/primary/address |

deref(/link[1]/var1_router_name)/../config/interface/Loopback[id='0']/ipv4/address/ip

}

</address>

YANG

module learning_deref2 {

namespace "http://com/example/learning_deref2";

prefix learning_deref2;

import ietf-inet-types { prefix inet; }

import tailf-ncs { prefix ncs; }

import tailf-common { prefix tailf; }

import tailf-ned-cisco-ios { prefix ios;}

augment "/ncs:services"  // AUGMENT is used to add to another data model , OR augment it. So in the example we are adding/augumenting the learning_deref to it.

{

list learning_deref2

{

key "name";

uses ncs:service-data;

ncs:servicepoint "learning_deref2";

leaf name

{

mandatory true;

type string;

}

list link

{

min-elements 2;

max-elements 2;

key "var1_router_name";

leaf var1_router_name

{

mandatory true;

type leafref

{

path "/ncs:devices/ncs:device/ncs:name";  // This path points to a list of routers , not a sepcific router

}

} //routername

container ios

{

//  name=current()/../var1_router_name = PE11

//  ncs:name=current()/../var1_router_name  EXPANDS to ncs:name=/ncs:services/learning_deref/link/var1_router_name

when "/ncs:devices/ncs:device[ncs:name=current()/../var1_router_name]/ncs:device-type/ncs:cli/ncs:ned-id='ios-id:cisco-ios'"

{

//tailf:dependency "../device";

//tailf:dependency "/ncs:devices/ncs:device/ncs:device-type";

}

leaf intf-number

{

mandatory true;

type leafref

{

path "deref(../../var1_router_name)/../ncs:config/ios:interface/ios:GigabitEthernet/ios:name";

}

} //intf-number

} //ios

}

}

}

}