Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Initial F5 setup for NSO NED

All, 

I'm attempting to setup an NSO demo which includes an F5 BigIP.

I have no experience with the F5 but I've figured out how to properly setup VIPs, Pools, hosts, etc. 

I see the NED for the F5 is "generic" and not CLI based.

What does this mean in terms of how NSO will connect/communicate with the BigIP device.

Is it using an API instead of an SSH session?

I've read through the README included with the NED. It indicates a target port should be specified when creating the device in NSO but I'm not sure what port that would need to be.

Also , is there a specific service/interface I need to have configured on the F5 BigIP?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I see the NED for the F5 is "generic" and not CLI based.

What does this mean in terms of how NSO will connect/communicate with the BigIP device.

Is it using an API instead of an SSH session?

Yes, it would be using some sort of API. A REST API in this case IIRC. The transport could very well be SSH anyway, but in this case probably HTTP/TLS.

I've read through the README included with the NED. It indicates a target port should be specified when creating the device in NSO but I'm not sure what port that would need to be.

Also , is there a specific service/interface I need to have configured on the F5 BigIP? 

Ideally the README would be clear on this, but if not, I guess you'd have to look up the API port in the F5 docs.

Apart from the device list setup in NSO, the NED type should not really matter. From an NSO perspective, there is no particular service or interface you need to configure to use the device. The device will of course need to have a suitable base config to work with NSO, and your use case might benefit from an NSO service package.

xx

How can I fix this?

admin@ncs# devices sync-from
sync-result {
device fip0
result false
info Failed to connect to device fip0: connection refused: ned_external_error PTY request failed: connectDevice error
}
admin@ncs#

Regards

RM