Views
Helpful
Replies

Pan Dacom NED available?

ian.scheidler1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

are there any NEDs available for devices manufactured by Pan Dacom (e.g. these here: https://www.pandacomdirekt.com/produkte/switching/layer2-switche.html)?

Or even better...is there an up to date and complete(!) list of available NEDs available somewhere? I have an Excel sheet (NED-devnet.xlsx, originally authored by Fredric Zeisig) here, which I downloaded some time ago on a Cisco DevNet but it is incomplete and out of date (Nov 2016).

1 Reply 1

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is a list of officially supported NEDs maintained by Fredric Zeisig, but it is certainly not listing every NED, and never will. Even an officially supported NED might not have everything that you need for your use case. There are many proof of concept NEDs, and they just might support the use case you need. All of this is changing rapidly, so a list more than two weeks old must be considered out of date.

As you can see, there are so many ifs, buts, and maybes about this that a NED list doesn't really bring much value. You'll have to ask for each use case.

One of the corner stone strengths with NSO is the agility and speed of developing device support, i.e. NEDs. Compared to competition the development time and cost for supporting a device is typically one or two orders of magnitude less. Therefore it's important to not use a two months old list and dismiss a potential business case just because some device isn't on it. Nor to promise a customer delivery of some particular use case tomorrow just because the device he intends to use is on a list.

A benefit with asking the NED team about what device use cases are supported is that they hear about things that are in demand early.