Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500-24Y4C 1gb SFP's

victoriamyatt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

we have around 8 ports on the C9500 that have the copper 1gb SFP's plugged in, when connecting copper cables solid green light is shown and no activity even for internet in, lights are on but no one is home. 

Is there any specific config needed with the SFP's as port config is still showing 25g port naming?

SFP's are cisco branded 

8 Replies 8

guruvignesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Victoria,

If you're using 1Gb copper SFPs on C9500 switches, ensure the ports are correctly configured. The port naming might show as 25G due to default settings. Check the interface configuration and adjust it to match the 1Gb SFPs. Also, confirm the compatibility of SFPs with the switch and check cable connections to ensure proper activity.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Use compatible SFP's according to : https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npid=49

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello Victoria,

Is the SFP being recognised? Does it show up in show inventory? Is the port up in show ip int bri? Are the SFP's commpatible according to the tmx matrix? I assume they work, you can check the speed under show int te1/0/X. The correct speed will be shown there, but the naming of the port will remain the same.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

victoriamyatt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

thank you for your replies I have gathered some info below, 

The SFP's are GLC-TE's and checking on the Matrix it looks like these should be good with the switch: 

victoriamyatt_0-1696331833515.png

This is the result of the show inventory for the ports that have the SFP's

victoriamyatt_1-1696331928501.png

This should show the speed of the port:

victoriamyatt_2-1696332053358.png

The port lights remain a solid green and I'm not sure if this is a red herring or expected behavior for this switch  

i have tested many with Cat 9500 works as expected with GLC-TE

what IOS XE code running on it -  what is the end device ?

port defination twentyfivegig ok since port is 1/10/25G

also see some unknow protocol drop - i take this as red hearing, try to reset counters and see if this increasing?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB

Currently we are running 17.3 as haven't had chance to update the device yet. 

We will be using this as our Core networking switch, I need to swap out or 4500e series core as we have downsized the office/ kit and networking requirement. 

The config is a lift and shift from the current core 

what is other side device, try speed nonegotiation (check that works ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

WarHawk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi victoriamyatt,

Check Speed Negotiations. You might need to manually set the speed to 1000 on both sides.