Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 PWR lose power??

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

I have IP Phone 7960 plug in 3550-PWR.

The IP Phone lose power in this weekend for some reason. After reboot the switch, everything back to normal.

My questions are that anyone has this kind of experience before??

I was thinking someone turn off inline power by using CLI command, but I could not find any command like that in Cisco website. AM I RIGHT??

Thanks in advance!!!

2 Replies 2

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

Anyone knows??

maharris
Level 5
Level 5

Well, here is what they would have to have done, I would be surprised if someone went to all that trouble, I would suspect something just went to sleep:

Configuring Inline Power on the Catalyst 3550-24PWR Ports

The Catalyst 3550-24PWR switch automatically supplies inline power to connected Cisco IP Phones, Cisco Aironet Access Points, and IEEE Power Devices if it senses no power on the circuit. If there is power on the circuit, the switch does not supply it. You can also configure the Catalyst 3550-24PWR switch to never supply power to these devices and to disable the inline-power detection.

For certain IEEE Power Devices that require multiple reloads during initialization, you can set a delay shutdown time to configure the switch to continue providing power during initialization. For more information about configuring a delay shutdown time, refer to the command reference for this release.

Note This feature is only supported on the Catalyst 3550-24PWR switch.

Cisco IP Phones and access points can also be connected to an AC power source and supply their own power.

For information about configuring a switch port to forward IP voice traffic to and from connected Cisco IP Phones, see the "Configuring a Port to Connect to a Cisco 7960 IP Phone" section on page 14-3.

Beginning in privileged EXEC mode, follow these steps to enable the inline-power on an inline-power capable port:

Command

Purpose

Step 1

configure terminal

Enter global configuration mode.

Step 2

interface interface

Enter interface configuration mode, and enter the port to be configured.

Step 3

power inline auto

Automatically detect and enable inline power on the port. This is the default.

Step 4

end

Return to privileged EXEC mode.

Step 5

show power inline interface

Verify the change.

Step 6

copy running-config startup-config

(Optional) Save your entries in the configuration file.

****To permanently disable inline-power on a port, use the power inline never interface configuration command.

This is from this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12120ea2/3550scg/swint.htm#wp1123058

Mary Beth