Helpful
Replies

7970 LCD screen does not display anything

marijavuk41
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

When I power up Cisco IP phone 7970,these button flashes in sequence:

headset, mute and speaker. Then line keys start flashing green in sequence. Then headset button start flashing green.After 15 seconds everything stops. Switch Catlyst Express 500 sees through CDP protocol IP phone 7970, but IP phone doesn't get IP address from DHCP server.When I try factory reset, after all line keys flashe yellow, I press 123456789*0#, line keys don't flashe red but green. And again after 15 seconds, everything dies. What is wrong with my phone?

Best regards,

Marija

8 Replies 8

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I had a phone in a similar state, it was completely useless... I built a console cable for it, and could see it trying to TFTP a particular image from the server - this image wasn't on the server and I'm sure it never was... I suspect it must have been the original load or something.

Anyway - make a serial cable, and plug it in. Start up the phone, and see what the debug shows you - it's quite easily readable.

You should be able to see where it fails. To fix mine I had to put the software it was looking for on the TFTP server and it fixed itself - I had to get someone on this forum to supply me the software as I couldn't find it anywhere...

Serial Cable (same for 7970 and 7960 regardless of software):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a0080558541.html#wp1041428

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Could you specify which software version is needed on the TFTP as i have a 7970 in the same state but it gets to the point of downloading the firware but stops after 80% of the 'apps70*******" file.

I expect the versions I have are too new (8.0 and up) and it needs an earlier - possibly the earliest ever version in order to start.

My phone didnt crash, I purposely done a factory reset ages ago thinking it would be easier to upgrade not knowing it can't load just any term70 version after a factory reset - this is not mentioned anywhere on the reset instructions page on the cisco site.

Bye

Hi,

I have Call Manager 4.1(3) and there are these loads for standard 7970 Cisco IP phone:

TERM70.6-0-2SR1-0s.loads

TERM70.DEFAULT.loads

TERM71.DEFAULT.loads

Term70.6-0-1-0s.loads

I couldn't find any 'apps70*******" file.

Best regards,

Marija

The only 7970 files I have are these (sip 8.0.2, I also have same version in SCCP)...

apps70.1-1-1-14.sbn <-- loads other files and stops half way though this one (i supposed by this point it realises the version is wrong)

cnu70.3-1-1-14.sbn

cvm70sip.8-0-1-16.sbn

dsp70.1-1-1-14.sbn

jar70sip.8-0-1-16.sbn

SIP70.8-0-2-0S.loads

term70.default.loads

load30006.txt

the phone has never been updated past the factory supplied version and never succesfully loaded the above version, so I done a factory reset and I guess I need the mentioned 6.0.2 files to get it started again.

any help with this would be great.

bye

I don't have any file that start with app...In the attachment, there are 6.0.2 loads files that I found in TFTP path Cisco Call Manager-a 4.1(3)

I discover that I need TERM70.6-0-1-0SR1s.loads file. Is there anyone on this forum that can help?

Marija

are these files also present as they are needed along with the MATCHING Term70.defaults.loads...

(these are the files i need i think to fix my phone)

for 6.0.1 these are needed...

Term70.defaults.loads

Jar70.2-7-0-6.sbn

cnu70.2-7-2-5.sbn

jvm70.PS499KR6.sb

for 6.0.2 these

Term70.defaults.loads

Jar70.62-1-0-2.sbn

cnu70.62-1-0-4.sbn

jvm70.602SR1R4.sbn

each version includes a term70.defaults file (although the same filename for each version its a very different file and using the wrong one will cause the upgrade to fail) this is used after a factory reset - open it with notepad or somthing to see the files it will try to load.

The apps70 files must be only in more recent versions and this is probably why its failing for me as the phone is expecting only 3 files like in the earlier versions.

Hi Aaron,

I would be very grateful to you if you find me the software I need. It's very hard to find any Cisco image.

However, I have cisco SCCP 7970 phone and it doesn't have console port, so I can't plug in it.

I notice that you have solved many problems on this forum. I hope you will solve mine.

Best regards,

Marija

Marja,

The console port Aaron was referring to is the RS232 port. The 7970 phone does have this port.

Thanks

Fred