cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager 3.3(4) to 4.0(1) Database Restore Problem

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I am upgrading our Call Manager Servers from 3.3(4) to 4.0(1). I have followed the instructions in the upgrade manual and did a same system restore of the OS 2.4, then 2.6 upgrade and 2.6 SR2 and then installed 4.0(1) Call Manager. I had no issues until I finished the 4.0(1) install and found out that it was not prompting me to restore the 3.3(4) database. The Backup and Restore program 4.0(2) did not appear to be installed so I loaded it and tried a manual restore. The restore gave me a warning that I cannot restore 3.3(4) to 4.0(1) but looked like it worked anyway. That really screwed things up though and I had a 4.01 call manager server that seemed to think in the admin pages it was still 3.3(4). Also half of the services failed to start. I am thinking I will need to reload everything again, but this time load 3.3(4) first and then just run the 4.0(1) install disk. This seems to go against the manual which says I can just reload the os and install 4.0(1). Any thoughts? I am starting an OS reload again, and need to know if I can go direct to 4.0(1) or if I need to load 3.3(4) first.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

If you are not concerned about losing your database then you can do a 4.0 install first. If you want to keep your database then you to need re-install 3.3(4), restore from your backup, get the box up and running again, download the latest copy of BARS, back up the 3.3(4) install, do a proper upgrade and during the upgrade process you are prompted for the 3.3(4) information from the backup. To date this is the only way to get an older versions database into a new version of CM. Sure would be nice if you could just import in w/o worrying about the versions but I hear that designing this would drive the developers mad!

The opnly way you are going to get your CM 3.3(4) info into a CM 4.0 install is by importing the info as part of the upgrade process.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

If you are not concerned about losing your database then you can do a 4.0 install first. If you want to keep your database then you to need re-install 3.3(4), restore from your backup, get the box up and running again, download the latest copy of BARS, back up the 3.3(4) install, do a proper upgrade and during the upgrade process you are prompted for the 3.3(4) information from the backup. To date this is the only way to get an older versions database into a new version of CM. Sure would be nice if you could just import in w/o worrying about the versions but I hear that designing this would drive the developers mad!

The opnly way you are going to get your CM 3.3(4) info into a CM 4.0 install is by importing the info as part of the upgrade process.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

Ok, so if I am following you right, I do a OS reinstall, then load the 3.3(4) software and restore the 3.3(4) database.

After that I just put in the Call Manager 4.0 cd and let it upgrade? Is that correct? If so I am curious why the upgrade manual says I even needed to do an OS reinstall.

Well, that is correct up the part where you "just put in the Call Manager 4.0 cd and let it upgrade" It's a bit more complicated than that...LOL. But you already know that. I think the wording of the document is getting you a little twisted. When you upgrade from 3.x to 4.0 a new OS is going to be installed by the upgrade procedure itself as part of the upgrade so there is in fact an OS re-install but not in the traditional sense.

Hope that anmswers your questions

Travis

Thanks for your information, by following your advise and reinstalling 3.3(4) first after the OS and then running the 4.01 installer everything worked fine and all my data upgraded.

The crazy thing is the TAC told me that I could just install 4.0(1) and the installer should upgrade restore my 3.3(4) data without issue. After trying this 4 times TAC still said everything should have worked, and I should not have to install 3.3(4) first. Your information was far superier to what I received working for days with the TAC. Thanks for the Good advice.