cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4224

wgellenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have experience using the 4224 at a remote office location with CallManager 3.1? Any issues, bugs or unpleasant experiences?

6 Replies 6

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Although I have not used it as a customer, two things I would caution you about - make sure you use the latest IOS software available, and also note that there are only 6 DSPs in the chassis, which is enough for 24 total voice channels. So that includes any PRI and analog cards that you use, plus the 8 port FXS that comes in the box. So make sure you plan voice channel capacity appropriately.

bcowley
Level 1
Level 1

Unless you need the FXS port density, I would reccomend a 2600 and a 3524 over the 4224. We have some issues with the two we deployed in August, but TAC promises new IOS releases in December will fix our issues.

We have problem with a 4224 running 12.1(5)YE2 - if you connect a fax to an fxs port the port no longer works properly - outgoing calls you just get dropped backed to dial tone every time you press a digit, incoming calls is setup ok but you get one way audio which is badly distorted. Need to reload the 4224 to clear the problem. (Anyone else seen this problem)

Are you using MGCP or H.323? It seems like while using MGCP I ran into this problem, but I am working fine with H.323 and dial-peers on the 4224 with version YE2.

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

We have three deployed. Two work just fine, however one had an issue with the PRI coming in from telco. Everytime a call would come in, the 4224 would reset. I'm running on a development version of the IOS and it is working better now, but we are still hammering out a few bugs. Like I said, out of three, two worked as advertised without any problems.

FYI, although I have not used a very wide deployment scenario (since I have no actual customer installations), we have done some work with the 4224 and found YE3 code to be much better than previous versions.