cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCME 3.1, G.729 codec only

jocoates
Level 1
Level 1

How do you setup a CCME system to use the G.729 codec only? We would like all phones to use 729 to enable transferring between CCME systems. It looks like codec renegotiation is not supported.

5 Replies 5

sali1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will do my best to answer your question.

I did my research on your issue and it seems like only G711 is supported for ip-phone to ip-phone calls. You can't configure it for g729.

I guess the reason here is that the CME is designe for the small LAN site, and it assumes you

have all IP phones in the same LAN. The usage of G711 simplifies the use of features like voice messaging.

Hope this would help.

Best regards

Shahzad

But then.. how about integrating a CME system with another CME System using H.323 over a WAN? There is no way to use G.729 across the WAN?? I'm not talking about an IP Phone across a WAN talking to CME.

IP PHone ---CME-----WAN------CME-----IP Phone

TIA,

-Jose

Yes this is possible, because in this scenario, CME1 will look at CME2 as an H323 Gateway, but there are some limitations that you must be aware of.

- no conference

- no voice-mail reachability.

Thanks

Shahzad

This is not entirely correct.

Conferencing and consultative transfers are possible using H.450.2 and H.450.3 over the WAN between multiple CCME routers. Also, voicemail reachability is possible between multiple CCME routers and a Unity Express (CUE) module using SIP relay.

For more information, see my CCME site with an example diagram and configuration. Hope this helps.

http://ciscogroups.anvi.com/cme/index.html#How_do_I_connect_two_separate

-Pat

gruiz
Level 1
Level 1

Going back to the original question; Can a CME system be configured to use G.729? I know the ATA can be configured to use g.729; so theorethicaly we can take an ATA that is already registered and force it to use G.729; can we do the same to the IP Phones?