Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call Manager and LifeSize Endpoints

teckardt2012
Level 1
Level 1

Hello dear support community,

last week I asked which version of Cisco Call Manager supports BFCP (https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3966334).

Unfortunately I asked the wrong question.

As it turns out I just didn't need to know which version of Call Manager supports BFCP, which I know now, I also need to know if Call Manager is compatible with LifeSize systems?

Here is the setting, so you know what I'm dealing with:

The costumer uses Cisco Call Manager (Ver. 9.1) as SIP registrar for his LifeSize endpoints. The problem is, when he is making a video conference (via SIP) and he wants to share a presentation, the other side either sees him or the presentation, but not both.

We tried it with our Call Manager (Ver. 9.0) and some LifeSize endpoints. As soon as the LifeSize endpoint uses CUCM as SIP registrar, the option to share the presentation is completely gone. 

I guess the costumer switched sources from cam to pc. That would explain why he just sees either video or presentation. But, as you might have guessed, it's not an acceptable solution for the costumer.

And yes, we made sure that BFCP is enabled for the endpoints.

So, what I'm asking myself and you is:

Is this known? And more important, is there a reliable workaround?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards

Tobias

11 Replies 11

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've been down this road and when I asked the question Lifesize's stance was that it wasn't supported by THEM. I pointed out that CUCM now supports line-side BFCP but they essentially shrugged their shoulders. Either they are blatently disabling content sharing by virtue of using a SIP Proxy or they have a priorietary SDP/header that CUCM isn't passing through.

Either you can call Lifesize and shake them up a bit or you can wireshark the SIP dialog to see what the codec asks CUCM before disabling the sharing button. Once you know that you might be able to use SIP transparancy to pass the header through.

Aaron Hooi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tobias,

May I know how did you manage to Integrate the LifeSize Endpoint(In my case LifeSize 220) to register to the CUCM? I tried it but the registration doesnt work. Do you have a brief explanation on the steps needed to get this registered?

Aaron,

I'm currently in the same position as you, trying to figure out how to register a LifeSize endpoint to CUCM. Were you able to figure anything out on this?

Thanks,
David

With the assistance of Cisco TAC, I was able to get this working. The key was to use the directory number assigned to the lifesize endpoint as its username instead of the actual username. Once that change was made it registered to CUCM just fine. Also, be sure you're using the "Advanced" 3rd party SIP device.

One final follow up here. Dual-display video (live video & presentation) from Cisco endpoints to LifeSize endpoints when both are registered to CUCM 10.5 works as well. BFCP must be enabled on the SIP Advanced endpoint configuring in CUCM.

Having full interoperability with LifeSize & Cisco video endpoints on CUCM 10.5 is a wonderful thing to know works.

What model(s) and firmware version are you using on the LifeSize endpoints?

CUCM has supported line-side BFCP since the 8.x days; it used to be that LifeSize only supported H.239 and CUCM doesn't do H.239 to SIP BFCP interworking (though Cisco VCS does). This is why it didn't work in the past.

CUCM 10.5

Lifesize Room 220 running 5.0.3.

Let me know if you'd like any other details. I spent a long time getting this going and am happy to share the fruits of my labor.

David, The company I work for acquired another company that has a decent sized deployment of LifeSize 220's and Icon units.  They are registered to the Lifesize Cloud for Video, but using SIP registrar 2 for audio only to their Mitel PBX.  We are phasing out their Mitel and want to have their Lifesize units use our Call Manager (10.5.2) for their audio only calls.  Can you send me the config you used for one of your device configurations on Call Manager?  You can send it to my e-mail at Jeffrey.wolfe@ca.com.

Thank you,

Jeffrey,

if you are still looking for information, let me know. we have over 350 LifeSize units in the field. geturner@akamai.com.

Cheers

Hello,

if you may please send me the details how did you configure and register your endpoints with Call Manager on my mail i will be really thankful amr.elsheikh@booking.com  

whattheheck6301
Level 1
Level 1

i am so sorry if i am on the wrong page.. i am not very technically savvy at all and was told to delete my question from the user page... and i guess come here.. so forgive me in advance.. here goes my question thank you again.

regarding Cisco Supervisor for a call center or reception desk  or customer service... and several agents be logged into it using the same password  and if a query report is run on it.... can the report show only one agent instead of all that are on it.. since they are all under one name? thank you so much