Views
Helpful
Replies

CM down

kareem
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a problem here with my callmanager version 4.1(3)

Sometimes after making conference ,a message appear on ip phone 7940 displaying "cm down,features disabled" then the phone doesn`t respond at all until reseting the phone.

The problem mainly appeared randomly on devices 7940 which made conference OR putting someone on hold then when i resume back the call the problem happened.

So could anyone help me about the cause of this problem and how to overcome it?

Thanks...

Regards,

Kareem Ismail

12 Replies 12

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

This means the IP Phone lost communication with the CallManager it is registered to. I would look down the path of a network/routing issue that is causing this. Check the ports the phones are connected to for any alignment errors as well as the port the CM's, unity's, gateways, etc are connected to make sure they are running clean with no collisions or alignment errors.

andy - berbee

Hi,

I mean that this problem happened only when i made a conference call or when i put someone on hold then made a new call ,so briefly when I made any activity on the phone.

But for a simple call only nothing happened.

Is it related to the media resources on the callmanager?!

Thanks...

Kareem

When you place a call to a gateway or to another internal IP Phone the audio stream does not run through CallManager, it is between the two endpoints.

Assuming you are using CallManager as a conference bridge when you make a conference call the audio stream is between CallManager and the IP Phone. The same thing applies for putting a call on hold, the audio stream is between CallManager and the IP Phone.

That is why I am suggesting making sure you have no layer 1, 2, or 3 issues with respect to your CallManagers.

andy - berbee

You might want to take a look at your event viewer logs to see if you can find when the phone lost it's registration. And if there are any other messages at the same time.

You should then be able to look at the traces were the phone is registered and check the traces to see if the phone is losing registration and any messages related to the phone.

Dear All,

After checking the event viewer ,I found a lot of errors point to device unregistration!!

The problem appears again on my ip phone then immediately I checked the event viewer and found error message telling that the device is unregistered.

So what should I do?

The phones communicate with callmanager through firewall Blades(FWSM 2)

I am going to upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

So could anyone help me please?

Thanks...

Kareem

brickhouse
Level 1
Level 1

My guess is the Phone Firmware...Try updating to the newest firmware on the phones...I had a problem with phones saying CM down Features disabled, but mine was being caused by a user hanging up the phone after being in a call....Then the phone would try to tell the callmanager (over a WAN) that it was ending the call but couldnt get through(dont know why)...it would then lock up and say CM down Features disabled and you would have to unplug the phone to get it back...Updating the firmware fixed how the phone handled this situation...

Steve

TomLoos1234
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same problem.

Also using CCM 4.1(3)sr1 and have had users complaining about this error. When i try to recreate it, i get very inconsistent results. I havn't been able to sort out what the cause is, yet.

As Kareem says, 'sometimes' it happens.

I will keep this topic updated with any new findings.

Regards,

Tom

We've been working on this problem, and it turns out I only get it with the 7940 phones, and also only in a cluster where there are some firewalls between the CCM and the phones.

So one solution is to make the conference bridge local, like on the VG. This solved our issue.

bhattacharya.s
Level 1
Level 1

As you said that you see "device unregistered" messages in the event viewer, don't forget to check CM replication.

Also, upgrade the phone load and check for network issues.

spverizonrd
Level 1
Level 1

Kareem,

Past month We fixed these problem when We do a upgrade at ours PIX We moved to IOS 7.0.

We got these problem by 4 month, We did all posible to fixed and these upgrade fixed all.

I hope help you

qr_israel
Level 1
Level 1

did you find the solution or the cause for the 7940 when they display cm down,features disabled, i have the same problem,

The cause was there was a network issue between the phone and the conference bridge on the callmanager

The solution was to make a local conference bridge on the voice gateway. In our case the CCM was on a remote datacenter, and the VG is local in the same building as the phones.