cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM TFTP problem

renzil
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a cluster of two CM i.e. 1 Publisher and 1 Subscriber. All phones are configured to use the Subscriber as the primary CM and the Publisher as the backup.Now I have configured Option 150 pointing to both the CM ip addresses on the L3 switch. However for testing, if i manually disconnect the primary CM , the phones keep searching for the same TFTP server of the primary CM and do not fallback to the secondard TFTP server which is the Publisher server. Also when i check the Network configuration on the IP Phone, it tells me 1 Active TFTP server as the Subscriber but says NO Alternate TFTP server

can somebody advice ?

Thanks

renzil

8 Replies 8

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

What firmware are you running and what type of phones? This sounds like a bug, but try erasing the configuration on the phone if it used dhcp before you assigned the second tftp address.

Hi,

I am using CM4.1(3) with 7940 and 7960 phones.

Application load ID P00307010200

Boot load ID PC0303010100

Version 7.1(2.0)

How do I erase the Ip Phone config ?

Thanks

Renzil

Step 1 Press settings.

Step 2 Use the Navigation button to select Network Configuration.

Step 3 Press the Select softkey. Press **#

Step 4 Scroll to Erase Configuration (Item 33)

If the configuration is not set to be erased, the option appears as:

Erase Configuration No

Step 5 Press the Yes softkey to erase the configuration.

Step 6 Press Save.

Hi,

I have a problem at step 3. After I press the select softkey, I cannot press **#

Also the is an icon of lock sign at the Network Configuration on the Phones.

I guess there are some settings that need to be enabled on the CM ?

Thanks

renzil

Hi,

Ok I managed to erase the config but the problem still persists. Another observation I made is that in line 42 , the phones does display the IP address of the backup TFTP server 2 i.e Publisher.

Is there a bug in the phone firmare version 7.2(2) ??

Thanks

renzil

I have exactly the same behavior with 3.3(4). If publisher is down the phones keep looking for tftp on the pub even if the sub is configured as the second tftp. My guess it is like that with all versions. In this case you can't add or reboot existing phones. This is much less important issue than pub being down. So if pub goes down don't worry about adding new phones just get punlisher back online asap.

hi,

My case the Subscriber is the primary CM while the Publisher is configured as backup CM. In case of subscriber failure, I shud be able to have the phones registered to the Publisher right ?

Shud the primary TFTP server allways point to the Publisher CM ?

Thanks

renzil

Yes, according to cisco recommendation in small clusters TFTP service should be running on Publisher. In larger clusters TFTP should be run on separate server. In case of only 2 servers in a cluster Sub is the Primary CM and Publisher is backup CM. If redundacy group is configured correctly the phones will automatically failover to Publisher in case of Subscriber failure.