Views
Helpful
Replies

CME and PSTN

tourless27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I'm testing to deploy a 2811 router to connect a standard phone line (as provided by the local cable company) and use it as my voice gateway for my 7940's, on 16 Fast Ethernet ports on the router (NM-ESW-16).  I've got a VIC2-FXS 2 port card and VIC2-FXO 4 port card I can use but I don't know what or where to start with the necessary configuration on the router itself.  MY CME version is 7.1.

I'm assuming this can be accomplished but lack the knowledge to do so.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The CME Administration Guide covers all of the configuration; however, this may not give you the necessary jumpstart to understand the various fundamental components (e.g. what a dial-peer is and how are they matched). I'd start there and see how much you're able to pick up. If you get overwhelmed then you may want to look into the CCNA Collaboration training options such as the Cisco Press books. The Cisco Learning Network can also support the learning journey when you're trying to wrap your head around a topic for the first time.

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi , as you have fxo port card as well along with the analog line coming from telco so i assume that you will be connecting the line coming from telco to your fxo port. fxs port will not work if it directly connected with telco line.

once you are done with that , you have to make 7940 register to cme. you can register them as sccp phone. these sccp phones has to be registered under telephony services where you will be defining their dn and type by using e-phone dn and ephone command under telephony services.

sharing the below guides for your reference.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeadm/cmebasic.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeadm.html