Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable Jabber IM/Chat, retain softphone: Webex Connect Messenger

We're in the process of moving to a new chat service, and we're looking to disable IM on Jabber, but retain the ability to use Jabber as a softphone. I've tried adjusting policies in the policy editor, but it seems the "internal IM" settings won't apply within each domain. This is Webex messenger backended

I can't seem to find a config file parameter that accomplishes this -- does anyone have any ideas? 

4 Replies 4

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

in the Jabber Config file, I use the following:
<Questionnaire>
<WhichProductMode>Phone Only</WhichProductMode>
</Questionnaire>

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Recently, I deployed On-Premise Cisco Jabber in Phone Mode only. Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 9.x and Later — You should not set PRODUCT_MODE during installation. The client gets the authenticator from the service profile. Set your authentication source correctly in CUCM Service Profile. 

If you are using Cisco Webex Messenger service then disable it. (If I remember correctly, you need to open Cisco TAC case to disable IM for your webex domain).

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Hoobs2
Level 1
Level 1

I know this question is over 3 years old, and my answer, while it could be used for making this change during deployment, probably isn't the best way to go about doing so; however, for anyone stumbling across this, who doesn't have control of how Jabber is deployed, here is how I disable the chat feature for Jabber.

This removes the chat icon on the left-hand side of Jabber but does have the side effect of causing the call to open in a new Jabber window; this window opens on top of Jabber and has the call controls. Once the call is ended, the window closes on its own.

1. Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\jabber-config-defaults.xml"
  2. At the bottom of the XML is " <userConfig name="EnableChats" value="TRUE"/> "
    1. For me, it was defaulted to "TRUE". I assume this can be configured during the installation, so that would most likely be the better choice concerning this question.
  3. Change the value to "FALSE".
  4. Restart Jabber (Make sure you close it from the system tray icon)
  5. Jabber should come up without the chat icon on the left.

JabberNoChat.png