Helpful
Replies

Does the VGA 248 support Modem?

gil.guevara
Level 1
Level 1

I was told that it does not. Why not?

4 Replies 4

I can vouch that it does. I typically get 49k connections, but I find some modems need to be limited to 40k or they tend to drop the connection periodically.

I'm running Call Manager version 3.1.2c, a VG248 running firmware version 1.2(1), and a 3662 gateway to a T1 running IOS 12.3(1a). Also, on the vg248, I have all the fax relay stuff disabled.

The two things that really got it working well for me was getting the latest vg248 firmware and putting IOS 12.3 on the 3660 gateway. The initial IOS and firmware I started with had trouble with faxes.

-Chris

Thanks Chris!

Here the thing. These lines are to be placed inside apartments. The tenants come and go and need the flexability of utizing these VG lines like any other Bell line. If they want to hook a 2500 telephone fine, if the want to use it as dial-up cool, if they want to fax great. What are the limatations? We don't want to have to readjust the VG every time someone wants to do something different. Can you point me to some documentation?

I don't need to reconfigure depending on what is connected to the line. I just have the default settings, which happen to have fax-relay disabled on the vg248.

There is info on the VG248 on the Cisco site. Sorry I don't have any specific links handy.

don't do it. It's not at all suitable for your setup.