cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How To VoIP???

brutus_27
Level 1
Level 1

Hello my name is Zeb and I am wanting to learn VoIP. I have two Cisco 7905 phones and a 1720 router. My questions are what other equipment would I need to purchase in order to learn VoIP? and where can I find a HOW TO on VoIP? Any information would be helpfull. I also am in semester 7(CCNP 7) so I know my way through routers, switches, bridges and APs. Thanks

Zeb-

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would start with purchasing some books, check out: http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/browse.asp?st=42106

The 1720 will not be useful much for VoIP, I would recommand at least 1751-60 router with CallManager Express IOS to start learning CME. The core Cisco VoIP product is Cisco CallManager, but you need a supported server to run it on. As you probably know there is a lot of components to VoIP: CallManager, unity voice mail, Gateways (H323, MGCP), endpoints, Gatekeepers, proxy servers (SIP), analog GW (VG224,248, ATA, FXO, FXS, E&M), IPCC. So besides networking you need to know servers, DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, etc. The best source in my mind is Cisco website, you can find ton of documentation on any of these topics.

Chris

Thanks, I will check that out. Do you know if I need a switch with VPN support or will any switch work? Also for the servers will I need to use a Windows server or would Linux(suse 9.3)work? Again thanks for the help.

Zeb-

Zeb, you don't need VPN support for any of the voice hardware unless you need it. Currently Cisco voice applications run only on Windows platform, Callmanager runs on Cisco propriatary win2k OS. It is installed during the CCM installation and is a stripped down version of win2k. Also, the hardware needs to be supported Cisco server such as HP Dl320, 380 or IBM. From what I hear CM 5.0 will be available on Linux RedHat.

Chris

Two quick thinks you need to be aware of first VoIP and IPT are two different things.

VoIP- Is sending voice between two routers no matter what type of phone system is on the other side. This is done by using different communication protocols. T1 CAS, T1 ISDN PRI/BRI, Analog lines FXO/E&M.

IPT- IP Telephony is using a softswitch like call manager and or SIP Prox to provide call setup , teardown and dial plan manipulation. It is bacisly a IPPBX.

Then as mentioned before go to ciscopress.com and but Integrating voice and data networks read it for an overview then take the CVoice course from SkyLine. Then move forward from there.