cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP / H.323 / SIP ???

lavanya_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Another small question.. i have read about call manager interaction with voice gateways on protocols such as H.323/MGCP etc... what are the advantages/disadvantages of using H.323 over MGCP or SIP ?? am sure the protocol depends on the voice gateway, but are there any other dependencies of selecting either of these protocols ??

3 Replies 3

teodorgeorgiev
Level 4
Level 4

Such question could start a flame-war. Better read and find the questions by yourself.

A good book is the "IP telephony cookbook".

Everyone is biased to "his own" protocol. Mine is H.323. If you ask me - I will say to use H.323.

Others, though, will vote for SIP.

I personly love H.323, but for starters you might want to look at MGCP which allows you to centrelize your configuration at CallManager. With MGCP all of your gateway configuration is done thru CallManager interface, with simple reference on the gateway itself. SIP is newest VoIP protocol and very new to Cisco CallManager. With H323 you have to duplicate the effort on CallManager and the gateway iteself via dial-peers. I've worked with SIP with other vendors but not Cisco CCM. It's the easiest to analyze, build on HTTP as oppose to ISDN g931 as are H323 and MGCP. New Cisco gateway (routers) support all of these protocols, as long as the right IOS is applied.

Chris

That was a useful piece of information chris.. thanks. will get along with my studies and bug you in case I have anything to ask.

Thanks again...