cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Phone Conversation ?

tsgcisco
Level 1
Level 1

We use Cisco Call Manager and Unity, as well as cisco ip phones throughout the company. We have a management request asking if it is possible to monitor a phone call from another phone, basically be able to tap into an existing phone call. Obviously management has their reasons, be it training and or evaluation purposes.

I know when I was in New Orleans for Networker '04 I came across a vendor that did something like this for the purpose of call centers. It also recorded the conversations I believe.

Just wondering if the basic functionality to break into a call exists or if it is only accomplished through jumping through many hoops and or third party software.

4 Replies 4

tsgcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I am still unable to find any info on this, if anyone has any ideas on this problem let me know. If you know of a third party solution please let me know that as well. Need to be able to give them a definitive answer.

Hello,

I think it is possible to use monitor session between two interfaces and capture the RTP packets.

Captured RTP packets on the destination interface could be reassembled to play the phone conversation.

But I'm not aware of any software that will do all of this automatically.

Robert

Bernhard Albler
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hmm, do you need recording services or just the ability to listen to an existing call?

Maybe part of what you want can be realized via the barge functionality:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00802e224d.html#wp1033166

hth!

-bernhard