cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

On Hold Ring Back

mikeh
Level 1
Level 1

When a call is placed on hold, it seems that it will remain there indefinitely unless the call is resumed. Is it possible to have the phone ring back after 2 or 3 minutes of hold time? Our PBX can do this, but I cannot find anything relating to CallManager that will allow this.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

7 Replies 7

azam_anwar
Level 2
Level 2

I don't know if this is possible, but with 3.3 you do have the option to make the handset lamp wink when a call is on hold. This might help remind a caller that he has left someone on hold if that's what you're after.

The option is available with calls that have been 'parked' though.

Do you know the name of this feature, or where it is found? Having the light blink is as good as a ring back for us.

Thanks for the idea!

hold type* under call manager service parameters

I think something is incorrect in the description:

This parameter specifies valid value as True or False. Setting the parameter to False (default) makes handset lamp wink when a call is on hold. Default: false.

Well Mine is set to false and I do not get the wink...

It does not work here either. I have set it to true and false.

mreed
Level 1
Level 1

Straight from my TAC Case:

Question:

I am trying to configure calls on hold to work similar to our legacy phone system. The two things I'm trying to make happen are:

1: I would like the handset to flash when a call is currently on hold. This will help prevent users from forgetting about their calls on hold. It looks like this is the default in the Service Parameters section under Hold Type. Although it says it should be set to false for this to function I have tried it set both ways with no noticeable difference. This seems to be the case for many people as I have seen the same results on Cisco's Forums. Is there a setting somewhere else I am missing to enable this?

2. After a call is on hold for a certain amount of time I would like it to ring back to the user that placed the call on hold. Similar to the way call part is setup would be great. I thought this used to be an option but I can not find it in the current CCM setup.

Answer:

"Both of the settings/options you are talking about adding are not available in callmanager at all and would need to be requested as a feature through your Cisco sales office"

I recommend contacting your Cisco sales office as listed so we can get these features added. They are already in place for call park so I can't imagine it would be difficult to add it for "Hold".

If you click on the Hold Type* parameter it will bring up a help page with this bit of information

"For Japan NTT (Nipon Telephone Telegraph), user can set this parameter to True, which makes handset lamp flash during hold."

This seems to imply that the parameter is only available under a very specific circumstance, although I'm not certain how the scope of implementation can be narrowed to that exact context.

There is a Call Park reversion timer but currently there is no such timer for Call Hold. I would surmise that this is because when a call is parked the media stream is re-terminated to CallManager resources whereas the media stream remains terminated on the IP Phone for Hold.

Cisco is working on feature parity, at least for the most common features, with your Avaya/Nortel/Siemens PBXs. However, anyone interested in a particular feature should take it to their Cisco account team. If you tie a dollar value to it in say, lost sales because the feature is missing, that tends to push it up the development list.