Views
Helpful
Replies

One DSP for Conference and Voice ?

samuel.suen
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have one DSP (PVDM2-16) in the R2801 "12.3.11T". Can I configure HW conference and voice port (VIC2-4FXO) at the same time.

Indeed, I cannot configure as follows:

"maximum session X" under the conference profile. I only found X is "0". Can I allocate the DSP into different purposes?

Thanks for your help

3 Replies 3

chartford
Level 1
Level 1

Interestingly, I just had this conversation over lunch. My experience has been that even though the FXO card theroretically only needs 4 channels, it allocates all resources on that 16 channel DSP SIMM. You will need a second DSP SIMM to allocate channels for conferencing, transcoding, etc.

Another problem with this config is that the PVDM2-16 is only 1 dsp, and conferencing requires a reserved dsp:

PVDM2-16 16-Channel Packet Fax/Voice DSP Module

1 DSP (TI 2510)

Q. Can conferencing share the resources with transcoding or voice calls of a single DSP?

A. No. Conferencing needs a dedicated DSP resource. If a DSP is assigned for a conferencing session, then it cannot be used for transcoding or voice call initiations or terminations. Transcoding and voice calls can share the resource of a single DSP, however. Note that conferencing needs a dedicated DSP, but not a dedicated PVDM2 module. For example, PVDM2-64 contains 4 DSPs; if one of them is used for conferencing, the other three can still be used for other purposes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3115/products_qanda_item0900aecd8016c6ad.shtml

Mary Beth

I have one question and wondering how to configure PVDM2-64 to share DSPs though.

"PVDM2-64 contains 4 DSPs; if one of them is used for conferencing, the other three can still be used for other purposes"

I'd really appreciate if anybody could point any documents so a single PVDM2-64 can be shared for both Conferencing and voice termination. thanks, Veera