Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI NI2 Calling Type and Plan

When configuring a T1 gateway using MGCP, we have the PRI configured as a PRI NI2. This is in preperation for exchanging caller name display from the carrier. In the meantime, according to the debug isdn q931, the vg200 is sending a full 10-digits to the telco, but the Telco is saying that they are only seeing 7 digits. This is causing a problem in that the customer wants to have as the calling id to be the extension of the phone that is making the call and not the main number. Telco says that if they do not see 10 digits, they only will send the main number.

I have a troubleticket open with Telco, but I am wondering what the effects of changing the "Calling Party IE number type" and "Calling Numbering Plan"? I have looked high and low for an explaination of what these parameters do and have found nothing.

Does anyone know?

3 Replies 3

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

NI2 will not work if your goal is to send/receive calling name display across the PRI span. We have a Nortel SL-100 (basic same software as a DMS-100) with a CCM and a VG200 Gateway (using MGCP) connected with PRI. We also are using a 6608 8-port T-1 blade Gateway in a Cat. 6509. We have name display working in both directions between the SL-100 and CCM when we use the VG200 Gateway. On the 6608 we have name display working on inbound calls to the CCM but not on outbound. The configuration to get name display working between CCM and the SL-100 was very time consuming in that initially I too had my PRI span configured as NI2. Cisco TAC replied back to me after opening a case that calling name over NI2 will not work as NI2 is configured to pass callin name display in the Facility Information Element and CCM at the moment only has the ability to send/receive calling name display in the Information Element. With that bit of knowledge, I went back and reconfigured my PRI as NTNAPRI (DMS-100) and finally got name display working.

What the carrier is telling you is true. I would see the same thing when I was playing with the configuration on the Gateway. Depending on my choices on the Calling Number Plan and Called Number Plan, sometimes I would see the main number on campus (campus operator) rather than the actual set's number. I have the VG200 set to Called Number Plan--Unknown and Calling Number Plan--Private, but I'm not really sure if those are the only settings that will work. I have a definate advantage in that I can see the results of a change as soon as I make a test call and I have control over both ends. Trying to get this to work with a carrier may be a real hazzle. I'm not sending calling name display across our PRI spans to the local CO. I'd like to, but QWest tells me that they don't have the capability and are working with Nortel (Yeh right!!!). I find that hard to believe that two Nortel switches can't pass name display over PRI when I can do it on a PRI to CCM. Anyway, good luck.

This is real good information on your trials and tribulations. The our bound Caller name is not a concern for the customer but the calling number is.

I will give this a try.

Thanks.

mschlenger
Level 3
Level 3

NI2 is VERY particular with its configuration. In the future, the easiest to work with (in my experience) has been DMS-XXX. It just seems to integrate a little nicer with telco stuff. Anyways, try setting the following:

Called and Calling numbering plan set to ISDN.

Calling Party IE set to National (my guess is you have this set to subscriber?-- this may be why you are only sending 7 digits)

Called Party IE set to CCM.

Make sure you thouroughly test all type of calls. Local, LD and especially 911 if it is regulated in your state.

-Mike