Helpful
Replies

Showing image and text on phones display

parisatashakori
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on an application which

by using "CiscoIpPhoneExecute", sends texts and images to ip phones.

When phone receives an image, while a text has already displayed, image overrides the text correctly. But when phone receives a text while an image is in the display,

only title and prompt will be overridden and actual text won't be shown in display.

What's the reason of that? Is there a bug or am I missing something?

(I'm using CiscoIpPhone Service Development v3.3 )

Thank you in advance,

Parisa Tashakori

10 Replies 10

XmlEquals
Level 3
Level 3

I can't speak for a bug. My first impulse would be to check with ethereal or web browser to visually verify that you are sending the text that you think you are.

I would also check that your text that you are sending is less that 8k in length (is that the limit? its something like that), and that it doesn't have any extra-weird characters. I have seen odd behavior from the phone when you send a parameter longer than the phone allows (sending a prompt of 30 characters after showing a CiscoIPPhoneInput is a good way to see odd behavior)

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think that there might be a side reason for that except the already shown image on display.

If I send the same text when phone's display is clear or is showing another text, new text/title and prompt all show correctly. But when text is sent while an image is on the dispaly, title and prompt will be overridden correctly. image disappears too but new text won't show on display.

I'm thinking to fix it programatically.For example push a url like 'Key:Services' before pushing the text. However looking for the actual reason and solve it in a better way.

I really appreciate your ideas,

Parisa

I'm all out of ideas then. I would set priority to 0 if you already haven't in your ciscoIPPhoneExecute.

I think it would also be worth adding a softkey to your image push that has the url for the text... it would be interesting to see if the CiscoIPPhoneExecute is part of the problem.

Priority defaults to 0 if it is not defined in your XML; didn't want to mislead on the that.

If you are using CallManager 3.3, there used to be a bug that interfered with image display - not sure if that is what you're being affected by.

Try including a SoftKey:Update softkey with your push text, and when the text doesn't display try pressing the update button and see if it displays then. If it does, it may be related to this bug...

Of course, if you're not running CCM 3.3 then this isn't really relevant.. but you had mentioned 3.3 in your post.

For additional information:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=IP%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Phone%20Services%20for%20Developers&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee9d05c/0#selected_message

That was it. I added the Update SoftKey to my text Xml softkeys and by pressing update button,text is being shown correctly.

You said that this was a bug for CCM 3.3. However our callmanager is 4.0 but I'm using IP Phone Services SDK v3.3(3) for dvelopment.

Can I still consider this behaviour as a bug of 3.3 ?

can I use SDK v3.4 with CCM 4.0 ?

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Parisa

I don't see why not, its just HTTP going around, and it hasn't changed from 3.3 to 4.0

Disclaimer: I know nothing in the least of the SDKs.

The SDK is only a reference, and doesn't generally affect your development (with the exception of the COM components like the directory search, proxy etc). So the SDK that you are using won't be affecting this issue.

My guess is that this is a bug in 4.0, though I don't see it noted in the bug database.

You could push the Key:Services URI before pushing, as you noted.

You could try pushing a SoftKey:Update after you push the text, and see if that forces the display.

You could also try adding a refresh header to the text page, though you'd want the refresh url to refresh to a page without the refresh header so the page doesn't keep refreshing. (ie the first text page is a "dummy page", which then immediately "refreshes" to the real text page).

You could also try an updated firmware version for your phone, and see if that fixes it, or apply any updates to your CallManager 4.0. If I recall, the 3.3 bug was fixed in 3.3(4), which came after the initial 4.0 release... so it may be related...

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

I will check the firmware of phones to see if there is an upgrade and prepare my application to cover this situation.

Regards,

Parisa

Hi,

just an update to this thread:

By upgrading the 7960's firmware to lateset version, the discussed bug is gone.

Parisa