cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRST with the 7970 phones

mgerron
Level 1
Level 1

We had SRST working fine with the 7960 phones, that is until we tried to implement the 7970s.The 7970s will automatically pull an address from the SRST router and think they are in fallback mode, even though the WAN is up and the 7960s are working normally. Unfortunately these phones are only given to upper management personnel and it is imperative that they can work wuith SRST. Any ideas???

9 Replies 9

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

This is by no means a definitve answer but I seem to recall that the 7970 phones will not work with SRST until sometime later this year or early next year with some IOS revisions. Don't quote me but I am pretty sure that's what I heard. Either way this gets the post back on the radar and someone who knows for sure will chime in. jasyoung, you out there my man?

Hi Travis,

I actually don't have any firsthand knowledge here. My co-worker (jdiegmueller) has done 7970Gs at remote SRST-supported sites before. He tells me that it "almost works". Supposedly you don't hear dialtone when you pick up, but the phones will register up and you can call around anyway.

Craig Watson covered this pretty well in his post. True support has not yet been rolled out. Obviously it's on the roadmap and we'll see it soon.

craig.watson
Level 1
Level 1

According to "Cisco CallManager Best Practices" CiscoPress book, "Although (IP Phones) might be supported by CallManager, not all phone types are supported in SRST mode....The latest phones, such as the 7970 and beyond, are to be supported in SRST versions greater than 3.0. Check the IOS release notes for SRST version information and the SRST release notes for device support"

Sounds like you are out of luck on the 7970's until SRST ver 3.0 comes out. Better get them another phone.

To add to the previous posts, its true that not just SRST, there are lot of other issues with 7970s too. So its better that you hold off on 7970s for atleast Fall this year. New phone loads and bug fixes are supposed to be out by end of this year..Travis is spot on!!!!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

It's true, the publicly posted firmware does have.. issues.

If you talk to TAC, there are engineering special loads you can get hold of that will greatly improve your sanity. I'm not sure when it will be made generally available. Anyway, the 7970G can be made stable and usable today.

Does anyone know where I can download at least the "beta" software image ".bin" file for the 7970G's under SRST/CCME?

Would TAC provide me with such a thing? Your advise will be highly appreciated.

Rgds,

Alex

kvaradar
Level 1
Level 1

7970 will be fully suppoirted with SRST 3.2

Hi..

Has anyone verified that 3.2 supports the 7970? I just looked at the device support notes, and it does not state this.

Has anyone been able to get support for these phones via SRST?

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee,

Yes I did, the new 11XL ios together with CCME 3.2.1 support 7970's. I have managed to up&run them last week.

Good luck!

Alex