cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stream PC desktop to DMP via VLC (UDP Stream)

Ian Bradshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We run a Cisco DMM, and some DMP 4400's.

I have discovered VLC is able to create a video stream of a PC desktop and send it via UDP. (We have some windows apps that we would like to stream to our displays)

I have managed to get this to work from one PC as the streaming server to another PC as the client. (Both running VLC)

So my next step is to allow the DMP to receive this UDP video stream. Currently the DMP just displays a blank screen when asked to play this content via the DMM. (I'm adding the content in the media library then adding to a playlist, which i assign to the DMP)

I think the problem could be related to one of two things

1. We dont have out network setup for multicast (although, then why would a PC to PC stream have worked, and i'm not using a multicast address in VLC)

2. Something related to video codec's (I am currently using MPEG-TS Encapsulation, with a MPEG-2 video codec at 400kb/s). Which after browsing the doco and forums seams to be a pretty safe bet.

Does any one have any experience with something like this, or any ideas for what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ian,

This will not work unless and until you have a Multicast enabled network. The DMP only supports MPEG2-TS multicast stream.

Enable the multicast then I would verify whether your network is Multicast properly enabled. You can take traces on the VLC server or port mirror the switch port - attach a sniffer or take a tcpdump on the DMP itself. Once you confirm that the network is multicast enabled, enter the udp://239.x.x.x:port in the Video URL of the DMP.

VLC to VLC is not a valid test, VLC supports a phelthora of protocols and can adapt and fallback to a different protocol if one does not work.

Thanks,

Sagar Dhanrale

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ian Bradshaw
Level 1
Level 1

no bites?

Ian,

This will not work unless and until you have a Multicast enabled network. The DMP only supports MPEG2-TS multicast stream.

Enable the multicast then I would verify whether your network is Multicast properly enabled. You can take traces on the VLC server or port mirror the switch port - attach a sniffer or take a tcpdump on the DMP itself. Once you confirm that the network is multicast enabled, enter the udp://239.x.x.x:port in the Video URL of the DMP.

VLC to VLC is not a valid test, VLC supports a phelthora of protocols and can adapt and fallback to a different protocol if one does not work.

Thanks,

Sagar Dhanrale

No worries,

Thanks for the good info.

I will progress down that path.

Ian

Hello Ian'

Were you able to stream your desktop with vlc after you enabled multicast on your network? Please confirm to me. Am also having the same issues right now.

Thanking you in anticipation of your quick response.

Regards

Felix

mebombay84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ian,

Nice Post. I have an active desktop that i want to stream via VLC and have the URL configured on Cisco dmm. How do i go about this? Appreciate your prompt response

Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to enable multicast on my network. But am going to test in my lab shortly. Will keep you informed how it goes.

ian

Hi people,

I'm testing the streaming to DMP via DMM too. I tested with RTSP no UDP. The result were the same, blank screen initially and then nothing in the DMP. I collected the captured packages with wireshark and seen that the VLC says "transport" is not supported.

Diego