cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Text Message to 7960 or 7940 Phones

ischarcm
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have code they use to push a text message to a single, or multiple 7960 or 7940 phones? We currently use cm 3.2 but will soon be upgrading to 3.3.3. I am not a programmer by any means but would like to obtain an application if someone has something I can use to send messages for important announcements or whatnot. Thanks!

3 Replies 3

You can download the Cisco IP Services SDK for free and it comes with an application called Push2Phone. With only a little bit of modification to the code, it works very well to push to single or multiple phones. I am not a programmer either, but I was able to figure it out after a few minutes of looking. The code does have some instructions to help you out. Good luck.

I haven't used the push2phone app yet, but I have pushed text with a Perl script to do the posts to individual phones. Not too difficult.

One drawback is that text pushed to the phone disappears when the phone is picked up or any buttons are pushed. I've looked at a way to do this with the idle url, but that has drawbacks like covering up the incoming phone numbers.

One very helpful trick is to create a used/password, something like 'web_apps', and associate it with all of the phones. That way your script can always authenticate to a phone.