cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer to voicemail issue

tmaurello_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running CM 3.1(3a) and Unity 3.1.4 POV on an ICS7750.

If a call gets transferred to another extension or directly to voicemail, and the transfer is complete before the call rolls to voicemail, everything is fine. If Unity picks up before the transfer is complete, the resulting voicemail states that it comes from the transferring person, not from the original caller. This happens whether it is an outside or internal call. This happens everytime if they use the "transfer directly to voicemail" procedure.

I understand that this is probably not a problem, but if there is anything that can be done in Unity about this, please let me know.

10 Replies 10

afuller
Level 4
Level 4

This sounds like a supervised transfer. Doing a release to switch transfer will prevent the "If Unity picks up before the transfer is complete" problem.

adam

Are you talking about the transfer properties in a handler? I'm talking about a person on an IP phone performing an transfer directly to voicemail. The only type of transfer on an IP phone is supervised.

Are you talking about the transfer properties in a handler? I'm talking about a person on an IP phone performing an transfer directly to voicemail. The only type of transfer on an IP phone is supervised.

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you mean the transfer is being performed by a human, can you identify what transfer directly to voicemail prodedure you are using? Option 1, 2 or 3?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/transfer_direct_box.html

I tried several different ways to perform the transfer. I tried option 1 and option 3 with the same result. In a nutshell, these methods have the voicemail picking up before the transfer can be completed. As far as Unity is concerned, the calling party is the transferring party, not the original caller.

The only way I can do a transfer directly to voicemail and avoid this issue is to do the transfer from the new Attendant Console and do a Transfer, not a Consult Transfer. This does an immediate release as soon as the transfer is performed.

Any other ideas would be appreciated? If that is simply a limitation/caveat of giving the users a direct-to-voicemail feature, that is OK too.

If option 1 was set up correctly then it shouldn't matter that Unity identifies the transferring station as the calling party. The routing rule will force the call to the opening greeting. The Unity will then send the call to the correct mailbox when step three is performed. "When greeting plays, dial the extension number # 2. "

For option 2, again the call should reach the appropriate mailbox even if Unity uses the transferring station as the calling party. Unity will route the call correctly because the call is being forwarded by the phantom extension that matches an alternate extension of the desired mailbox. The only drawback here is when the caller leaves a message Unity may try to send it "From" the transferring party. Still, this is a different issue than you are reporting.

Folks might be interested to know that our Call Manager compadres are bringing some relief for the transfer-to-voice-mail feature real soon. A short term solution will be available in CM 3.2(3) and is addressed by DDTS CSCdy01628. Check out the “V” notes for info on what you need to do to make it fly right. A nice clean solution will be available in CM 3.3(1) and later addressed by DDTS CSCdy17704.

Short story you can just dial *(extension) and CM will forward the call RNA directly to the phone’s defined voice mail line in one easy step. Very nice…

I didn't have a problem reaching the appropriate mailbox. This worked correctly every time. The only problem that we experienced was the identification of the station leaving the voicemail. Unity identified that person as the one who transferred the call, not the original caller.

For example, A calls B. B transfers A directly to C's voicemail. C's voicemail greeting plays and A leaves a message. When C retrieve's the voicemail, the message information in Unity states that the message came from B, not A. This is happening because B is connected when the voicemail picks up. B cannot complete the transfer before this happens, so Unity assumes that B is leaving the voicemail. The only problem is the message info, the destination mailbox and the message itself work as expected.

I can't wait for the CallManager fix that Jeff referred to!!!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Even with the fix, Unity will still say that the message is from B, unless the person operating the "B" phone can press Trnsfer quickly enough the second time, or is using a CTI based application to to the transfer, such as Cisco Attendant Console.