cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uploading Prompts to CRA using G729

dominice
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am trying to upload prompts to my CRA server and receiving the message; "The prompt file has an incompatible codec with that installed in the system".

I know these .Wav are in a G711 format and need to be able to save them in a G729 format. I presume this is where the problem lies.

The Miscrosoft sound recorder does not offer the option to save in this format. I have also downloaded a G729 codec from voiceage.com to try before buying, but seem to be unable to get this to work.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem.....

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

Do you absolutely need to convert existing files? We have gotten in the habit of having our IPCC Express server do the recordings. The 7940/7960 phones actually make fine quality recording devices, so long as you're in a reasonably quiet environment. The IPCC Express server will automatically make recordings in the right format for your deployment.

I'm attaching to this post an older version of a recording script we use at many of our clients. You dial the pilot number, it prompts for a PIN, and then gives you the option to Record or Review prompts by a three digit numeric identifier. The script deposits the file in your prompts directory with a configurable prefix, by default "Customer", which would create a file "Customer001.wav" for prompt index 001.

We like this method because from anywhere you can call it (and you can translate a DID number into it), you can record new prompts and have them be instantly active. Our production scripts reference the indexed prompts directly, like "P[Customer001]". We keep a spreadsheet for each customer tracking prompt index numbers, short prompt descriptions and suggested verbage for quick reference and easy updates.

It'll be a little bit fun for you to get started with this, because I don't have any g.729 formatted prompts to give you to use with this script, so it's going to be hard to tell where you're at when you call it. The best advice I can give you is to install the script and run it under the reactive debugger. You should be able to figure out how it works. Basically, you call it, enter the PIN (default 24680), hit 1, then hit a 3 digit number (with leading zeros if necessary), say your piece at the beep and then hit # (no #'s necessary at any other point). Record yourself some prompts to use with the recorder script itself. Then go into C:\Program Files\wfavvid\Prompts\user\en_US and rename CustomerXXX.wav to the appropriate names as configured in the script.

If you absolutely have to convert existing prompts, I think Adobe Audition (the former Cool Edit) can do it, but that's not cheap. If you only have a few files to convert, one time, I would be willing to run the Unity codec converter utility over them for you if you e-mail them to me. Keep in mind that almost any solution involving conversion of file formats will produce poorer quality prompts than recording the prompts in the right format in the first place. This is an especially big issue with g.729, where you need all the quality you can get in the original recording.

One last note -- you will likely get help quicker if you post this sort of question over in the Contact Center forum, where the people with IPCC Express/CRA expertise hang out.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

trailman73
Level 4
Level 4

Use the sound recorder to save it as a u-law format. When you go to upload the promt it tells you what format to save it in.

It is:

It is also possible to use the Windows Sound Recorder. However, the prompt must be saved the correct format (CCITT u-Law, 8.000 kHz, 8 Bit, Mono). This is accomplished using the following steps:

- After recording the desired audio, choose from the pull down “File” and select “Properties”.

- Click the "Convert Now..." button in the resulting dialog box.

- In the "Format" choice box, select "CCITT u-Law".

- In the "Attributes" choice box, select "8.000 kHz, 8 Bit, Mono".

- Click "OK" to close the "Sound Selection" dialog box.

- Click "OK" again to close the "Properties for " dialog box.

Geoff

Hi, Thanks for this, but have tried this previous, and this isn't the answer.....When uploading the system returns the error message; The prompt file has an incompatible codec with that installed in the system......

Anybody else have any ideas??????

scott.searle
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have access to a Unity server? If so, there is a 'Set Wav Format' utility under the Unity Tools.

You will need to place your .wav files in the Comm Server/Stream Files folder.

Hope this helps.

No access to a unity server......

Thanks for your reply though....

regards

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

Do you absolutely need to convert existing files? We have gotten in the habit of having our IPCC Express server do the recordings. The 7940/7960 phones actually make fine quality recording devices, so long as you're in a reasonably quiet environment. The IPCC Express server will automatically make recordings in the right format for your deployment.

I'm attaching to this post an older version of a recording script we use at many of our clients. You dial the pilot number, it prompts for a PIN, and then gives you the option to Record or Review prompts by a three digit numeric identifier. The script deposits the file in your prompts directory with a configurable prefix, by default "Customer", which would create a file "Customer001.wav" for prompt index 001.

We like this method because from anywhere you can call it (and you can translate a DID number into it), you can record new prompts and have them be instantly active. Our production scripts reference the indexed prompts directly, like "P[Customer001]". We keep a spreadsheet for each customer tracking prompt index numbers, short prompt descriptions and suggested verbage for quick reference and easy updates.

It'll be a little bit fun for you to get started with this, because I don't have any g.729 formatted prompts to give you to use with this script, so it's going to be hard to tell where you're at when you call it. The best advice I can give you is to install the script and run it under the reactive debugger. You should be able to figure out how it works. Basically, you call it, enter the PIN (default 24680), hit 1, then hit a 3 digit number (with leading zeros if necessary), say your piece at the beep and then hit # (no #'s necessary at any other point). Record yourself some prompts to use with the recorder script itself. Then go into C:\Program Files\wfavvid\Prompts\user\en_US and rename CustomerXXX.wav to the appropriate names as configured in the script.

If you absolutely have to convert existing prompts, I think Adobe Audition (the former Cool Edit) can do it, but that's not cheap. If you only have a few files to convert, one time, I would be willing to run the Unity codec converter utility over them for you if you e-mail them to me. Keep in mind that almost any solution involving conversion of file formats will produce poorer quality prompts than recording the prompts in the right format in the first place. This is an especially big issue with g.729, where you need all the quality you can get in the original recording.

One last note -- you will likely get help quicker if you post this sort of question over in the Contact Center forum, where the people with IPCC Express/CRA expertise hang out.