Views
Helpful
Replies

VG200 Fax Problems

k.mckay
Level 1
Level 1

Have a Gateway running IOS 12.2(11) T8. With a NM2v and Vic 2FXS

Gateway is configured for MGCP and i am tring to get the fax working through this.

I have dial tone on the fax, but no faxes are incomming or going out.

All other calls are fine. I have a fractional rate PRI gateway to the PSTN

3 Replies 3

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

When you're trying to do fax relay, you have to ensure both gateways are configured alike.

Take a look at this document on how to perform T.38 fax-relay:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/voip/fax-relay.html

Also for the fax configuration, I would recommend you to add the following command and make a test mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

dial-peer voice 111 pots

application mgcpapp

port 1/1/1

aforjeh
Level 1
Level 1

Do you really need to use MGCP? We've used VG200s for a couple of years now for both fax machines and to terminate our ISDN30s. I've tried MGCP with faxes about 6 months or so ago with little or no success.

The best setup we've found with these devices so far has been H.323 with fax passthru, using this we have a fairly good success rate. Whether you can switch to this or not is up to you...

The other option (I'm reliably informed, although I've not tried one yet) is to use an ATA, apparently these have much more reliable fax capabilities.

I have scrapped the idea of using MGCP as this seems to a lost cause for the moment. I am now configuring fax passthru as you say. Do you have any sample configs from your existing gateways using fax passthru?

If so can you mail them to k.mckay@vitec.co.uk

Cheers

Keith