Views
Helpful
Replies

vg224 and fax/paging system

bluejays
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am thinking about to configure vg224 as MGCP GW with MGCP T.38 Fax relay...I would appreciate any example....Also, about the CA-controlled and GW-controlled, which one would you prefer? It looks like configuration wise, CA-controlled is much simpler...

Also, I need to integrate vg224 with Valcom paging system and I hear that you need a device called Multitech with a FXO port to do it...Can I just use any cisco h.323 gw with a fxo port? I am thinking that should do the same thing as Multitech...Any input will be highly appreciated...

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

About CA- controlled and GW-controlled, it an extension of the local connection option used by the CA to instruct the GW to be in CA-controlled mode or GW-controlled mode, if think CA-controlled is much simpler try it.

Yes you need Multitech with FXO port to do it. Since Internal Paging through the intercom of your IP Phone is not yet supported through CallManager. By contacting your account team and systems engineer they can be made aware of your need for this feature and champion the release of this feature. However, external paging is supported. Depending on your hardware, you can connect an overhead paging system to an FXS port on a gateway and just assign it a DN as follows:

dial-peer voice 10 pots - DIAL PEER STATEMENT FOR PAGING

destination-pattern 60

port 1/0/0

The following overhead paging companies have been tested with CallManager: Valcom, Bogen, and First signal. As long as the paging system can be connected to the FXS port, then CallManager will treat it as another phone in the call processing logic.

This URL should helps you, It speaks about Cisco VG 224 Analog Phone Gateway & MGCP T.38 Fax relay :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps2250/products_data_sheet09186a00801d87f6.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008053b58c.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk777/technologies_tech_note09186a0080159cf3.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/cm_mgcp_intro.html

Thanks for your reply. The paging system I am using is Valcom 2924A. It currently connects to a PBX CO trunk port. Can you provide me any info regarding which port I should use on my Cisco gateway? I think I need a FXO port but some one use FXS port for other model of Valcom paging. If I can connect to a FXS port, that will be great coz I have a VG224 and like you said, I can just assign a DN for that port. If I need a FXO, I might need to configure a route pattern on CCM point to that FXO, right? Does anyone have any experience regarding migrate a paging to Cisco router? How to connect the cable between the FXO/FXS port to the paging RJ21 port?

Appreciate any input.

bluejays, Did you got runing the paging system with the VG224? can you please share the setup?

Thanks

Hi Maden,

For analog (mounted speakers) paging, I usually use a VG224 or just a 4 port FXS card in the gateway (depending on how many other analog station ports are needed for the organization). Then for the paging equipment I use the Valcom V-1020C speakers or any model with built-in amps, the Valcom V-2006A One-Way paging system which provides 6 page zones plus an all page, and I use the Valcom V-9970 unit to connect to the VG224 or the FXS card. Then in CM, you just setup the FXS port under Gateway and give the port an extension. Then the user just dials the internal extension and the 9970 connects the call to the 2006A and allows the caller to initial a page.

Pretty simple setup and all the paging funtion is outside of the Call Manager through the Valcom units. CM just provides an extension through the FXS or VG224 with an analog FXS port.

I am not too familier with the Valcom 2924A unit though it does state that it must connect to the phone system via a fully protective paging port or a system central port.

"

NOMINAL SPECIFICATIONS

These units are not intended for direct or indirect

connection to the public telephone network. When

used with a customer premise telephone system such

as a key system or PABX system, these units are

interfaced to the system via a fully protective paging

port or a system central port, which are fully

protected interface devices. Additionally, the host

system must be configured to disallow a central

exchange trunk conferencing in order to prevent

indirect connection to the network."