cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG248 line distribution

DSJONES10
Level 1
Level 1

Do Cisco have an IDF that lays off the VG248 via the RJ21 interfaces?

So far I've been unable to find such a distribution system. I have however found references to Gray Bar patch panels and cables.

Any suggeations please?

8 Replies 8

paul.alvarez
Level 4
Level 4

No. Cisco does not sell them. Graybar does however. You need an RJ21 patch panel with 24 ports in front and a female RJ21 port in the back. Then you need to buy a male to male RJ21 cable. This is a standard cable so just ask them directly. Since the VG248 has (2) RJ21 connections, you need to buy set of 2. (2 RJ21 cables and 2 RJ21 patch panels.).

Thanks Paul, it's what I thought.

paul.alvarez
Level 4
Level 4

By the way, there are many versions of the Rj21 patch panel. I usually get the one that I can mount on my rack. The patch panel should have size of 1U.

jerake
Level 1
Level 1

We put in 9 VG248's last summer in nine separate IDF's...due to construction, I was able to filch some 48 port patch panels from a defunct IDF and place one for each VG248 in its corresponding IDF. We plugged one end of the RJ21 cable into the VG248, cut off and stripped down the other end, and using the standard pinouts, punched down each pair of wires in the RJ21 to its corresponding patch panel port. It's more work then just plugging in to ends of a cable, but it worked out very well for our IDF VG248 distribution.

TMH

Hi "jerake",

I'm thinking of doing something similar so thanks for the advice....

No problem. As I said, it worked out really well - sort of a lot of prep, but very easy to manage in the end.

Tina

I have done the same as well and put up a second patch panel that distributes to all the idfs. It works well for testing if any issues arise. I use a 8" xx from the panel attached to the VG248 to the panel that feeds the IDF's.

Well "rmathews", looks like there's only one real option...... Thanks