cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

viewmail

shouyisun
Level 1
Level 1

we have 200 users, is there a way that viewmail can be installed automatically when user log on domain?

4 Replies 4

jmessina
Level 1
Level 1

if this is a windows 2000 domain, you can publish or assign the application with group policy . To do this you would need to create a windows installer package

When you publish an application, you add it to the list of applications that users can install with the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel. Publishing applications is a good technique to use when you want to make applications available to some—but not all—users.

You can assign applications to users or computers. When you assign an application to a user, you add it to a user's Programs menu. The first time the user attempts to run the program, it installs—no matter which machine that user is logged on to. When you assign an application to a computer, it installs the next time the machine restarts,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/management/veritas.asp

i have never done it but i imagine it would be possible to bundle viewmail with outlook as a package.

If the workstations are not all in a 2k domain, another approach is to create a batch file to run a modified setup.iwf file for a silent install. Folks can be directed to run the executable via a link in Outlook.

I have deployed viewmail this way as well as using the same excecutables but, via a website folks can get to.

An official VMO 'push' install is a feature of the next major Unity release, 4.x, mid to late Nov.

Jami

Hello -

Would you be willing to share a copy of your modified setup.iwf for a silent install? We are on a fast-track to install Unity and our scripting folks are looking to find a way to help us deploy to about 450 workstations. You could email me directly at kavang@saccounty.net. Thanks for considering this request.

Sincerely, Ginger