cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMware cloning

pvarenholt
Level 5
Level 5

Can someone explain why cloning is not supported please?

We are migrating from one building to another and do not wish to re-install and we cannot take the existing servers with us.  We need to move to a new VM hosting environment.

Is the reasoning behind cloning not being supported is the unpredictable resources it consumes?

would appreciate if someone could tell me the WHY in this not being supported please?

thanks,

paul.

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what software you trying to clone.

you can snap shot, or move the VM source to another ESXI. ( not sure your environment has vMotion ?).

here KB from Vmware :

https://pubs.vmware.com/vcd-820/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vcloud.admin.doc%2FGUID-8F9419A9-2EB5-445C-B77F-5A0CC4BB2468.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Trying to clone existing UC application servers.

Cloning is supported, snapshot however is not. You should be able to move the VM from one DC to another, obvious this would require a change in IP address in the guest OS, aka in CVOS.

Response Signature

Thanks much for this.
Paul.

When I try to upload a uc iso image to the esxi datastore, the uploading stops at sometimes 44%, sometimes 46% and then I can suddenly see the uploading status bar disappears and the image file is in the datastore. When I come back to the datastore again later, I can not see the file there anymore.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: