Views
Helpful
Replies

Which is difference between Operational VLAN Id & Admin. VLAN id in 7940

MARIO PAIVA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Which is the difference between Operational VLAN Id & Admin. VLAN id in ip phone 7940?

Who controls it?

The switch or the Call Manager?

Can the modification of this parameter affect the attached pc?

Thanks in advance!

MP

8 Replies 8

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

Best explanation I could find was here (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/sip7960/sipadm2/maintain.htm#xtocid151964), then scroll down a bit. Even though it is for a SIP phone I think it is still relevant.

Rick

spy
Level 1
Level 1

Operational VLAN Id

Auxiliary Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) configured on a Cisco Catalyst switch in which the phone is a member.

If the phone has not received an auxiliary VLAN, this option indicates the Administrative VLAN.

If neither the auxiliary VLAN nor the Administrative VLAN are configured, this option is blank.

The phone obtains its Operational VLAN Id via Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) from the switch to which the phone is attached. To assign a VLAN ID manually, use the Admin VLAN Id option.

Admin. VLAN Id

Auxiliary VLAN in which the phone is a member.

Used only if the phone does not receive an auxiliary VLAN from the switch, ignored otherwise.

1. Scroll to the Admin. VLAN Id option, press the Edit softkey, and then enter a new Admin VLAN setting.

2. Press the Validate softkey and then press the Savesoftkey.

For clarity, if that's the case, I assume that the operational vlan is tagged, whereas the admin vlan is not?

Both are tagged. It's a matter of which one the phone uses. If you can't run CDP and therefore assign an Admin VLAN manually, the phone will use the Admin VLAN. If the phone has an Admin VLAN manually assigned but also learns of one via CDP/LLDP, then it will use the learned VLAN as displayed in the "Operational VLAN ID" field.

Maren

I have configured the Catalyst 2960 switch port as follows:

vlan 100

name VoIP

vlan 20

name PCs

)#int g0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,100

switchport trunk native vlan 20

end

Admin VLAN in IP phone set to 100

some IP phones connected successfully and others did not!!

the operational vlan in disconnected phones remain blank and the ip phone get IP from native vlan.

I tried to remove native vlan but the ip phone did not get IP.

can you help

The trunk port still needs to identify the voice vlan for the phone. Add "switchport voice vlan 100" to the port config.

(Misread the question....never mind.)

If you post again in the future, a piece of advice: You will get a better response from the community if you post an original question rather than commenting on an old thread.

Maren

Thanks for reply!

Does "voice vlan" work on trunk ports??

No, sorry, not on IOS XE. That's what I get for answering a question fast without digging in....

Maren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: