cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2650 Router Problems

lorenzoc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2650 Cisco router that I have setup. From the internet or any remote site I can ping and telnet to the router (both interfaces Serial and Fastethernet). The problem is that my Firewall nor my external unprotected hub can communicate with the router. Cannot conect to it from local lan or from the outside unprotected hub that connects the router and my firewall. From the console port of the router I cannot ping my firewall or any other device on the external hub, I can ping external sites from the router (ie www.cisco.com) Help!!!

11 Replies 11

djmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Can you be a bit more descriptive of the network as a whole in terms of layout and numbering? Also, are you sure that your firewall isn't blocking the type of traffic you are testing connectivity with (i.e. ICMP)?

I am positive that my firewall isn't blocking ICMP. It's not only ICMP total connectivity is lost with the 2650. I have a 2610 alo set up and I can route through that just fine can also ping telnet etc.... They are layed out the same, T1 to ISP, ethernet connetion to unprotected hub where the external interface of my firewall also connects to. Firewall points to router as default gateway. If I arp from my firewall It seems as if the firewall doesn't even see the fastethernet interface of the router. Here is part of my config for the 2650. When I originally set the router up everything worked fine for about 4-6 hours.

version 12.1

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

service password-encryption

!

hostname xxxx

!

enable secret 5xxxx

enable password

!

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 63.200.212.65 255.255.255.224

speed auto

half-duplex

!

interface Serial0/0

ip address 206.13.18.254 255.255.255.252

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 206.13.18.253

no ip http server

!

l

!

end

Sounds like a mystery to me. :)

Maybe try not forcing half-duplex on your FA?

duplex auto

I've, more often than not, only run into a ton of problems when forcing speed and duplex in a cisco to non-cisco ethernet interface...

Ya I tried that already...I set it to HD only to test and thats when I did that sh run. thanks for your help.

show interface FastEthernet0/0

Line protocol up?

Yup, it shows up. It can communicate with the internet, but not with anything on the hub that my firewall and two routers meet. I'm going to try a different hub.

Why don't you just directly connect the router to the firewall and bypass the hub?

Do you have connectivity when you do this?

Mike

I have multiple devices outside my firewall so that config will not work.

can u ping from firewall to Router ? I assume that ur using correct subnet on and default gateway on unprotected hub. can u ping from machine on the hub to the router interface and firewall interface?As u said firewall is not seeing the fastethernet interface ? check the config on firewall ? One more thing check the cables also, may be some one gone faulty?

None of the devices on the hub can see the Router at all. All ip info is correct, line is up on the router and I can even ping both interfaces of the router from the internet. Cables have been switched and swapped.

check the hub.