cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switchports showing errors

dialink-ir
Level 1
Level 1

We have several 2950 switches connected via crossover cables. When typing 'sh int counter errors' we are seeing errors only on the crossconnected ports to the other switches. We don't have any loops, etc and spanning tree is watching that for us. Note: the switchports designated as trunk ports show more errors than the others.

Please see attached txt file for switch stats.

Any idea what could be causing these error? Strangely, when typing 'sh int fa0.x', the counters are clean.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Vince

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RCV-ERRORS indicate the switch port is running out of buffers. Since these are trunks, I would suspect sporadic broadcast/multicast storm is causing this. Try clearing unnecessary VLANs of the trunks and check for any unusual broadcast/multicast trafffic.

As we only have one vlan, we can rule that out. How do we tell if its due to broadcast or multicast storms? ...and/or...is there a safe way to increase the size of the buffers?

Thanks,

Vince

If you only have 1 vlan why are you trunking across the links ?

Glen,

That's part of my confusion. We never specified the ports as trunking ports. For some reason, after plugging in our crossover cables on all the switches, most became trunk ports. I thought STP stepped in and automatically reconfigured them.

I'm still trying to sort this stuff out.

Thanks,

Vince

I think the 2950's come that way out of the box, the ports are set as desirable so they trunk if you don't turn them off . if you don't want to trunk , then just add the switchport mode access on each end of the link and this will stop the trunking .