Views
Helpful
Replies

adsl sharing

azfar8000
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have ADSL at my home, my ISP only supplied me with a USB modem.

I have 3 computers, I want to share the internet connection. I have already bought a Netgear wirless router, as well as wireless pcmcia cards. The problem is that the netgear wireless router does not have an RJ11 WAN port. It has a RJ45 port.

Now can anyone tell me any ideas or tips on how can i share my ADSL connection with my existing wireless router.

I already know the other option of buying an ADSL router from dlink with a RJ11 WAN port. Anything else, would be great! Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I am thinking the easiest way to solve this is to buy anEthernet Conversion Cord (RJ11-RJ45), check this link, this is one of the places where you can get it:

Ethernet Conversion Cord (RJ11-RJ45)

http://techstore.doit.wisc.edu/product1.asp?LoginType=&ITEM_NUMBER=C17154

Do you have pliers and jacks ? If so, you could even build the cable yourself...

HTH,

GP

Thanks GP. I will go to a friend who will do it for me. Chao.

Hi guys, this is not the way to go...

You can't just convert the RJ11 to RJ45 and expect it to work.

See the RJ45 port in your Netgear router is a switch port, NOT a ADSL port.

You need still need an ADSL modem do "decode/encode" the ADSL signal/data.

Unless your Netgear router has a built in ADSL modem (I doubt so), you have to connect your Netgear to the ADSL modem. Since your ADSL modem is a USB version, you have to upgrade it to a Ethernet version.

With this Ethernet version ADSL modem, you will then have the capability to connect your modem to your Netgear WAN port using a RJ45..

Thanx..

Choywy is right. Some companies are a bit cheeky when they tout their routers as adsl routers but they don't actually have an adsl modem built in. If you can take it back, change it for one with an integrated modem.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card