Views
Helpful
Replies

Bootproblem CAT 6509 SUP720B

slemberg
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

I've got a boot issue with my Catalysts 6509, SUP720B.

After powering up, the switches enter ROMMON :

Autoboot: failed, BOOT string is empty

rommon 1 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

LOG_PREFIX_VERSION=1

SLOTCACHE=cards;

RET_2_RTS=13:01:46 UTC Fri May 27 2005

?=0

BSI=0

RET_2_RCALTS=

ACL_DENY=0

PF_REDUN_CRASH_COUNT=0

BOOT=

OK, the switch is right, the bootstring is empty. So I add the necessary information :

rommon 2 > BOOT=bootflash:

rommon 3 > sync

rommon 4 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

LOG_PREFIX_VERSION=1

SLOTCACHE=cards;

RET_2_RTS=13:01:46 UTC Fri May 27 2005

BSI=0

RET_2_RCALTS=

ACL_DENY=0

PF_REDUN_CRASH_COUNT=0

BOOT=bootflash:

?=0

rommon 5 > i

This time the switch loads its image and works fine. Then I power down the switch and powe up : it works fine. I power down and power up : it works fine.

Then I power down and power up => Oooops, following happens :

System Bootstrap, Version 8.1(3)

Copyright (c) 1994-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Cat6k-Sup720/SP processor with 524288 Kbytes of main memory

Autoboot: failed, BOOT string is empty

rommon 1 >

Why does the switch forget this setting sporadically ? Please help me !

Regards

Sascha

7 Replies 7

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Sascha,

Please check the following " Autoboot: failed, BOOT string is empty " and

rommon 2 > BOOT=bootflash:,

The switch tried to autoboot and was looking for the bootstring and as it was empty so it went down.

Please specify the correct boot path and I hope it will clear out the problem. use following command

boot system flash bootflash:

If you are in rommon use the following :

BOOT=bootflash:

sync

reset.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

please read the issue again. I already did so. But the switch forgets the boot variable sometimes. This is my problem.

regards

Sascha

Sorry for the confusion, I thought that you didnt mention the filename after the bootflash:.

Could you please paste the show version from the switch.

regards,

-amit singh

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure config register is 0x2102 . The boot statement should read "boot system flash sup-bootflash: . Write memory . Also if you have a card in disk0: make sure the image is on the disk and add a 2nd boot statement pointing to disk0: .

Good evening,

thanks for your answer.

The boot system command is part of my configuration. But the rommon's variables are processed up a long time before the startup config takes over, isn't it? I wonder, why rommon looses the Boot variable. NVRAM works fine and it is not affected by the known Cisco bug, it got a much higher serial number.

So if anybody can help me, please post it.

regards

Sascha

The bootvaraible configuration from NVRAM gets written to ROMMON. So can you boot up the switch and paste the bootvariable, config-register setting and the contents of bootflash?

Hi Sasha,

I faced the same problem on my 6509 yesterday and luckily I had saved the image on the disk0 so if you have also done that then copy from the disk0 to the sup-bootflash... command is "rommon 1 > boot disk0:[file name]". Hope it helps!

Here is the doc which I refered which might help you as well... http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=102093&seqNum=5&rl=1

All the Best!

Regards,

Sameer

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card