cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I redirect ip traffic from one router to another router?

chloi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I wanted to install 2 router in one site. But, all of them in one same VLAN. since only one default gateway can be set at the client machine, I want the primary router to decide what traffic to be redirect to the secondary router. e.g.: router1 serve only ftp traffic. Others traffic would be redirected to router2.

thanks.

2 Replies 2

d-mark
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can use policy routing for example to set the next-hop for some specific traffic (defined with access-lists). the following link shows a configuration example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/tk871/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801f3b54.shtml

or search for:

ip policy route-map, route-map, set ip netx-hop

greetings

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Mark has pointed out Policy Based Routing would be one way to accomplish what you have described. And it would work as you describe.

But I wonder about your statement about having only one default gateway and I would suggest that you think about HSRP. With Hot Standby the client machine is configured with a default route address. That address is shared by both of the routers as a virtual address. The routers negotiate which one will be the lead and that is the one that traffic goes to. If the lead router fails the standby router takes over and all the traffic transparently is sent to it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card